View Poll Results: do you think canned bison hunts are ok?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • undecided

3 12.50%
  • yes

12 50.00%
  • no

9 37.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: canned hunts(bison)

BCHunter Guest

canned hunts(bison)

say it free ranging over a large amount of property

2. Site Sponsor

A 'canned' hunt isn't really a hunt.

A 'harvest' is more descriptive.

Youneed to qualify it a little more. Is it in a pen? Or is it free ranging within 10000 acres?

Like all fenced hunts, you have to keep it in perspective.

I would shoot an animal like bison or hogs on afarm, but I have no interest in shootign an elk under similar circumstances...

BUT- I would call it a SHOOT, not a hunt!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

i said no to this one cuz i would never do it..but doesnt mean i nessicarly (sp) disagree with them...like gatehouse said u have to be more specific on it...
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

BCHunter Guest
    I won't spend that amount of money on one of those hunts....it was just something a buddy was talking about and I thought of knowing everyone opinion

I am with ol Gatsie on this, if its a dumb ol Bison or a hog I would hunt it if it was free-ranging only.

heck, if an animal, even a whitetail in Saskatchewan, is free ranging over a large (few km's square) property, what is the problem with that?? Most deer dont have that big of a home range anyways for the majority of the year.

You really have to put more thought and information into such a vague question before posting.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

How much does it cost to hunt Bison like this? If the animal has enough space to run away out of sight then I see nothing wrong with it. If it's on a big ranch with thousands of acres then I'd be up for it. I don't believe in pushing them into a corner or using the fence to my advantage either though.

Marc.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

l wouldn't consider a bison hunt on private land any different then some of the deer hunting l do. There are fences, hwy, rivers and all sorts of natural and man made obstacles.............yet, any one who has had whitetail disappear right before there very eyes 8O , knows it doesnt take much cover for an animal to pull a vanishing act.
    l haven't been on a bison hunt ( apply ever year, but not yet ), but have talked to people who have, and its not a matter of shooting them in a pen at all. The accounts l have heard about them, say they aren't to smart as far as being human wise, but finding them can be an elusive chore.
    Costs.........tags, travelling expensives, accomidations, and l have heard, some farmers charge 150-200 bucks to hunt their propery.
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

I think one of the most sickening things I ever saw on TV was a "hunt "on a ranch in Texas where this brave individual stalked a very old Tiger that was sleeping beneath a tree. The animal was bought from a zoo. This mighty hunter had his picture taken with one foot on the Tiger and holding his rifle like he actually was proud. This guy was a dentist and he was going to have a head mount for his office. As you can guess, I am against canned hunts..

Some guys hunt Bison in Northern Alberta. Due to the genetic mixing of the re-introduced population in Wood Buffalo National Park, the animals are not provincially protedted outside the park. I suppose I might try that before I went to shoot one on a ranch.

bone-collector Guest
    well after seeing the costs involved both ways (LEH and "canned") I wouldnt hesitate to take a free range bison hunt for meat, $500 will get you a farm raised bison were we have gone in the past and it costed aprox 2100 to do the LEH by the time all was said and done including sled repairs etc