Thread: Popped the Tub's cherry

Popped the Tub's cherry

So today was filled with many firsts,
    It was a brisk -3 when I pulled outta my driveway at 0600, a quick stop for a coffee then off the Lorne's. We loaded up for the "TUBS" first battle, and my first real sea duck hunt. Got to the ramp and on the water shortly there after, we did a quick burn around saw a couple old squaws. After a little more looking we picked a bit of an out of the way spot (no houses near by)

We tossed a quick spread of 30 singles, and then anchored the boat, we had only finished dropping the back anchor when a beauty Harlis dropped in to have a look, by the time it had I had my shotgun in my hands he was sitting pretty to be swatted. I obliged him

After that it was a little slow we had a couple lawn darts give us a look, and couple buffle's. Lorne bagged a couple more drake harlis, swatted them after they landed while we we pissing around with the blind and working out other items on the boat. Then the 4th Harlis died on a text book perfect approx by him and 6 or 7 of his closest friends bombed into the spread and hooked hard and flared, he was then quickly dispatched with a single shot.

So all in all and amazing morning, only one issue with our setup and that was our initial setting of the anchor. Everything else went off flawlessly, and we banged out a limit of Harlequin's and all of them DRAKES

Last edited by 303Brit; 11-13-2011 at 01:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Popped the Tub's cherry

Welcome to the club, hope you did the Harley dance, I forgot to send instructions to Lorne....

Boat ran great, blind set up amazing. Dekes worked there magic. And harlis decoy AMAZING. Reminded me of bluebills. HARD into the dekes. Next up are scoters. hopefully get after them next week.

I will tell you what the first time ever seeing an old squaw drake in the wild was enough for me to start painting up some pins at squaws. Just as beautiful as i ever imagined. Just need to extend the longlines to run in 40 feet of water as that seemed to be where they wanted to be.

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Yeahhhhhhhh boysssss

Beauty bulls. Don't get much better then that.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Yeahhhhhhhh boysssss

Beauty bulls. Don't get much better then that.
    Ya, it's too bad when hammered the other two so hard. Lorne and I are both thinking double bird mounts with Harlis

Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

Do a pair or trio, the hen compliments and contrasts the drake so well and very few people have them done...

Wow!, your really expanding your bird hunting Kiel. Never done that before, but It sure looks like fun buddy!..Way to go Lorne on breaking the "virgin" in .
    " You know you're in Goat country when it takes both arms
    and legs to climb and you can spit down on sheep". Patrick Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Extra points to whomever can post the best pic of Christys boobs!
    "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by d6dan View Post
    Wow!, your really expanding your bird hunting Kiel. Never done that before, but It sure looks like fun buddy!..Way to go Lorne on breaking the "virgin" in .
    It was a riot Dan

Looks like those sea ducks are in trouble now!!! Lorne cruise around and look for some mussel beds, there used to be lots of greater bluebills up your way---Cheers----Field Marshal!