Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ground/water swatting?

Re: Ground/water swatting?

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    So if ya can fool them to land what is more sporting, shooting them on the wing in the decoys or on the ground? Nobody said anything about skybusting, not a big fan of that either. K
    Well skybusting is "on the wing" so to speak. And again i think what is more "sporting" is a matter of opinion. A duck is completely fooled if it lands. It takes skill, talent, and a greater understanding to consistently land birds. It doesnt take much to get birds into shooting range IMO. Also how many birds do not get recovered when they are shot on the ground vs shot on the wing? I have never heard someone say " shit man, i swatted all day today, limited out but lost a cpl." I would much rather hunt with people that swat then skybust.

Lorne

P.s i would also prefer to shoot on the wing most times...

if they land in the decoys then shoot . good enough
    semi-steady to flush

Quote Originally Posted by field marshal View Post
    Ground Sluicing is on a par with Dry Gulching!!! Which some people on this site seem to think is SPORTING?????----Cheers---Field Marshal.
    Dry gulching? never heard that term so i googled it.. this is what came up. Never really thought of water swatting in this sort of way. You have quite the imagination you little hobbit!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...g&defid=769888

Quote Originally Posted by huckle buck View Post
    if they land in the decoys then shoot . good enough
    Not in MY decoys,sonny!!!!!!!----Field Marshal.

My opinion is ya gotta be pretty desperate if ya gotta Blacktop any waterfowl unless it's a cripple. But whatever floats yer boat but if you were in my blind you'd only do it once. K
    I have no problems blacktoppin a grouse or turkey but a nice Ringneck is a different story, I couldn't do it. K
    it's always interesting to see what hunters decide to choose as their own personal code of conduct. This is a great example.

Many avid grouse hunters consider it sinful to ground sluice a grouse, and would never invite you back to hunt with them if you did.

Odd bunch, us hunters!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I agree Gatehouse!!

this is always an interesting topic, this is why i brought it up. I was talking with an old timer this morning and he was anti sluece. claiming the same "its not sporting".

So i posed a few questions to him.

I was taught when i started hunting that you should always take the most humane quickest death shot when taking an animals life. You owe it that.

So i ask some of you this. How many birds have you wounded wing shooting? chased around the field or the water having to shoot them again. How many birds have you lost wing shooting? that would sail a mile away, and die over night? How many necks have you had to ring? Its not many if any when you swat.

If a deer is standing broadside would you try and make it run and shoot a running deer because its more "sporting". My assumption is no. How is this different?

If you made a post on the main forum that you only shoot running unglates because its more sporting you would have 10 pages in a about an hour of people wanting to hang you from the trees and not one person agreeing that its ok! However because its a duck it is somehow different.
    Last edited by lorneparker1; 11-10-2011 at 09:11 PM.

People shoot grouse in the air?
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    People shoot grouse in the air?
    LOL!!! Yeah, I can only think of one grouse that I shot while flying. I remember because I shot it with a 22. I guess if there was ever one time I was going to be sporting, I took it to the max.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

"Skybusting" isn't in your original question, I thought you were talking about decoying birds? K

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    it's always interesting to see what hunters decide to choose as their own personal code of conduct. This is a great example.

Many avid grouse hunters consider it sinful to ground sluice a grouse, and would never invite you back to hunt with them if you did.

Odd bunch, us hunters!
    If I was hunting Grouse with a dog I'd never Blacktop one either. K