Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ground/water swatting?

Re: Ground/water swatting?

people used to make a living in britain by using a large bore shotgun(2 gauge) 2 pounds of shot and punt to a flock of birds
    and fire a fourten to make the birds lift, and then fire the big gun when the birds were a foot or two of the water.
    the record was well over a hundred birds with 1 shot.
    birds are harder to kill on the water than in the air for sure !
    I had spent many nights in the jungle looking for game,but this was the first time I had ever spent the night looking for a man eater.
    THE CHAMPAWAT MANEATER
    JIM CORBETT

No I don't shoot ducks sitting on the water. In fact more than once I 've had ducks land in the dekes well with in range and they've gotten a pass. You can learn a lot about thier behavior if you sit back and watch them move around, plus just the enjoyment of knowing your set-up is working. It's not a numbers game for me, it's being out in the field and enjoying. It's legal, it's your choice' but it ain't going to be around me.

So lindsey,

you wouldnt hunt with a guy that water swats?

My opinion is ya gotta be pretty desperate if ya gotta Blacktop any waterfowl unless it's a cripple. But whatever floats yer boat but if you were in my blind you'd only do it once. K

Have done, usually collecting meat for the soup pot when big game hunting, thats when I head shoot grouse on the ground as well. But I love the comedy of missing flying birds way to much to make a habit of it lol. And to answer the question they definately taste the same ground sluced or wing shot. lol.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Have done, usually collecting meat for the soup pot when big game hunting, thats when I head shoot grouse on the ground as well. But I love the comedy of missing flying birds way to much to make a habit of it lol. And to answer the question they definately taste the same ground sluced or wing shot. lol.
    I have no problems blacktoppin a grouse or turkey but a nice Ringneck is a different story, I couldn't do it. K

I wonder if it matters to a bird if you shoot him/her on the wing or on the ground?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Ground Sluicing is on a par with Dry Gulching!!! Which some people on this site seem to think is SPORTING?????----Cheers---Field Marshal.

Quote Originally Posted by field marshal View Post
    Ground Sluicing is on a par with Dry Gulching!!! Which some people on this site seem to think is SPORTING?????----Cheers---Field Marshal.

Depends what you want out of the sport i guess. Top me a limit shot head shooting birds 10 yards on the ground is alot more "sporting" then someone sky busting at 50 yards at everything that flies by o get there limit. The sporting part to me is the fooling part. how they die i could careless.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    Depends what you want out of the sport i guess. Top me a limit shot head shooting birds 10 yards on the ground is alot more "sporting" then someone sky busting at 50 yards at everything that flies by o get there limit. The sporting part to me is the fooling part. how they die i could careless.
    So if ya can fool them to land what is more sporting, shooting them on the wing in the decoys or on the ground? Nobody said anything about skybusting, not a big fan of that either. K