Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ground/water swatting?

Ground/water swatting?

Thoughts?

How do you feel about this? any less sporting? cleaner kill with no meat wastage(i.e more head shots)

I have an opinion( i know big surprise) but i'll hold it for now.

Lorne

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ground/water swatting?

ok with me.

perhaps to some its about the meat, to others more about the game
    half the people in this world are below average intelligence

For myself, I get way more pleasure out of shooting moving targets in the air. That's what makes shotgunning so fun. From my experience of trying to finish off cripples in the water, they're definitely harder to kill this way as their vitals are protected. However, my opinion on these types of matters has always been if it's legal, then whatever floats your boat.

Not a big fan of it.

I find that from what I have experienced of it ( a son that was learning to hunt waterfowl who would do it until he built the confidence and ability to take shots on flying birds) it was not as effective as taking the shot on the wing. A flying bird is actually a bigger target to hit in my opinion.

However it is legal so it then becomes a matter of personal opinion.
    Member of:
    BC Wildlife Federation
    Delta Waterfowl
    Ducks Unlimited

I ground swat mergansers all the time!

Any person who even brings up the statement of a sitting duck is stronger or harder to hit is doing something wrong. Sure there may proect their vitals with their wings over their sides......but a little thing called their HEAD and NECK are above the waterline and a single pellet to both those areas will kill a bird.

Lorne, I dont get to shoot many turkeys a year, none to be exact. How else would I get to enjoy a good turkey hunt by calling in some geese, and lining up a big gobbler/gander on the ground. backpeddling in the decoys for the win though.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

I was confused by the term...back in my duck hunting days on the North Island, we used to call it "sloosing"......Was not my favorite technique, but when I started I usd a single shot, break open Cooey 12, so a second shot was not possible, therefore the sloosing was the only way I could get a duck for sure.....I changed my practice as soon as I got my 12 guage pump....
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

You have to ask yourself this question, If you shoot a duck on the ground does it not taste the same as one shot in the air. I come from a long line of meat hunters, My dad says my great grandpa would let a bunch of ducks land and then line up 2 or 3 and put the first shot on the water.

A kill is a kill.
    Dead is dead.

I've Sloosed.
    Are you a Slooser too?

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

Well for me its 100% not a matter of if i thinks its ok, because i think definitely thinks its ok!

as far as actually doing it.

It depends..

Earlier in the year when meat is the main focus birds get shot on the ground quite a bit. But also alot of times we are letting small groups land with bigger groups behind them and the bigger ones dont quite do it right so the ones on the ground get it. As the season progresses, less and less get swatted. I havent swatted a duck in last 3 hunts, which i am sure is some kind of record. however if a bird sneaks into the decoys and is milling around hes gonna get it

To me why waterfowling is so additictive is it never gets old when hundreds birds land ON you.... Not fly around you or in the distance i mean on top of your layout walking around feeding 5 yards from you. If you Put birds on the ground or water within 20 yards. To me you have won, that bird is already dead. And thats what its all about. Shooting it is just confirmation.
    Last edited by lorneparker1; 11-10-2011 at 07:11 PM.