Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting wolves, regulatory requirments, uses etc.

Hunting wolves, regulatory requirments, uses etc.

I've tried searching, and I've posted in some threads but I haven't found all the information I am looking for. Can somebody please clarify a few things about hunting wolves. The regs don't seem clear enough either.

If you kill a wolf, other then Compulsory Reporting in Regions 1,2,4. What are you obligated to do with the kill? I could see taking the skull and maybe a hide at first, but then at some point those simply wouldn't be wanted? I suppose you wouldn't want to make dog food from it either, so the meat has no use. What does it cost to have a hide tanned? Is it ethical to just leave a kill in the forest?

The only time I've seen a wolf was the very first time I did a solo hunt in Kamloops (last year). He was between me and a Doe/Fawn. At that time I wasn't experienced enough to know that you didn't need a tag, or that it was even open season. Now I know these things, but without knowing what to do with the kill (legally/ethically), I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger.

I guess the same questions apply to Coyote as well.

Thanks in advance.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting wolves, regulatory requirments, uses etc.

If you can't pull the trigger on a predator that will multiply until it kills all the prey.....Sure you can get the hide tanned, or do it yourself if that's your thing. If we don't control the predator numbers they will be controlled the way they were before humans multiplied, starvation and/or disease. Wolves and to some extent coyotes are mice and rats with good media coverage. Black bear also fit in the category. The real world is much more grey than black and white.

I can pull the trigger, but I don't shoot anything unless I'm 100% certain about the regulatory requirements etc. Hence my original line of questions.

What are you obligated to do with the kill?

Is it ethical/ legal to just leave a kill in the forest?

What do wolf hunters typically do with their kills?

I believe all fur bearing animals except black bears you must take the skin. The rest can be left, though I take the skull usually.

Its legal so it's ethical as far as this site goes.

Most people don't know that you must take the skin from a coyote.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Thanks Big Boar,

So you have to take the hide. But if you aren't interested in keeping it, what are your options? Would a taxidermist be interested in it? Do some hides just get disposed of later?

Hoping these aren't dumb questions. I'd prefer talk to an experienced hunter rather then post on the internet.

On page 18 para #34 of the regs it says black bear meat must come out of the bush with you. Later in the same para it says black bear hide can stay in the bush. Fur bearing animals other than the BB must have hide taken, but don't require meat to be removed. So yes, skin the wolf or coyote, or grizz, but the meat can stay in the bush.

Thanks emerson.

Sorry if you don't mind shaydog - where abouts around Kamloops did you see the wolf?

Jamieson. 4500ft up. This was October 2010.

Going hunting?
    Last edited by shaydog65; 11-08-2011 at 10:34 AM.

There is a market for coyote hides that are properly cared for and thick and good looking. It might be between $15 and $40 depending on condition. If you sell a hide you must pay the royalty to the province. See regs. p.20 top left.