Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is it necessary to load your own ammo for hunting?

Re: is it necessary to load your own ammo for hunting?

factory ammo is pretty good usually, but as mentioned above the price is quite high. Handloading is fun
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I don't think you need to reload. But you should hit the range with the factory stuff your thinking of using ahead of Hunting season. Sometimes you have to try a few to find one your Rifle will shoot well, sometimes not. I have a .30/06 that seems to shoot pretty much anything well, while my .22/250 treats anything but 53 grain(Barnes) and 55 grain projectiles with complete disdain. Good luck and shoot lots!
    Dislexic's everywhere! Untie!!

Member,
    Mission Rod and
    Gun Club.

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    No it is not necessary to have reloads for good enough accuracy for hunting, however, reloading causes you to:

Spend more time testing your loads at the range, so you get a couple benfits of it a) trigger time (practice trigger control so that you know exactly where the loads are going, that you are not pulling them) b) more intimate with your rifle ( you will learn to "feel" when the trigger is about to break over c) MORE confidence with your rifle (if you get a clover leaf at 100 yards with 5 shots and practice at longer ranges) for those hunting scenarios where that confidence helps you make a clean quick kill...

For the amount most people shoot per year, reloading has no financial benefits....

Agree - Rolling your own inadvertently leads to more shooting, which in turn leads to better marksmanship.......... and a chronograph.

I look at reloading as a hobby in itself and not so much an activity that makes another activity (hunting) more affordable. It's a hobby that compliments the other and as a hobby, the person/enthusiast decides 'how deep' he/she wants to wade in - For the past few years, I've pulled back. I'm at the point of being content with the loads for most of the firearms that I have..... But LOTS of shooting/testing was had to be at this point. I think *most* reloaders fall into this category.

I also know people that are happy, loading to save on a box of hunting ammo every year and that's their extent - CLEARLY the bug that bit me didn't bite them.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    No it is not necessary to have reloads for good enough accuracy for hunting, however, reloading causes you to:

Spend more time testing your loads at the range, so you get a couple benfits of it a) trigger time (practice trigger control so that you know exactly where the loads are going, that you are not pulling them) b) more intimate with your rifle ( you will learn to "feel" when the trigger is about to break over c) MORE confidence with your rifle (if you get a clover leaf at 100 yards with 5 shots and practice at longer ranges) for those hunting scenarios where that confidence helps you make a clean quick kill...

For the amount most people shoot per year, reloading has no financial benefits....
    RS, that is the most complete, direct and accurate answer i have ever seen to a question from this forum, well said!!!!!!!!
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

I am sure that I will counter with some poorly spelled, drunken way off topic rant one of these days to return my "rating" to wingnut....AS a proud resident of "Crazybrook", I have to meet up to the reputation that is said about us by Fisher-Dude and GoatGuy
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dean View Post
    Agree - Rolling your own inadvertently leads to more shooting, which in turn leads to better marksmanship.......... and a chronograph.

I look at reloading as a hobby in itself and not so much an activity that makes another activity (hunting) more affordable. It's a hobby that compliments the other and as a hobby, the person/enthusiast decides 'how deep' he/she wants to wade in - For the past few years, I've pulled back. I'm at the point of being content with the loads for most of the firearms that I have..... But LOTS of shooting/testing was had to be at this point. I think *most* reloaders fall into this category.

I also know people that are happy, loading to save on a box of hunting ammo every year and that's their extent - CLEARLY the bug that bit me didn't bite them.

Guess I'm back in.
    Just did 'The Deal' w/ Bartell on his 22-250, Blow Out Special.

Lottsa stuff awaits me.
    Like has new meaning.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

Federal ammo in Nosler Accubonds is very accurate in most rifles...try it...
    For moose and elk I like the Barnes Vor-tx with 168 grain TTSX bullets, in my 30.06.
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!