Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it necessary to load your own ammo for hunting?

is it necessary to load your own ammo for hunting?

Hey guys, another question, bet its been brought up. Is it really necessary to have reloading equipment for better accuracy when hunting? Practice makes perfect, but is there that big of a difference with accuracy when hand loading over factory ammo?

thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: is it necessary to load your own ammo for hunting?

depends what you call a big differance ?
    if you call the differance of 1.5" groups(factory) to .5" groups (reloads) nothing to worry about then factory is fine but nowhere near as satisfying when you squeeze the trigger
    I had spent many nights in the jungle looking for game,but this was the first time I had ever spent the night looking for a man eater.
    THE CHAMPAWAT MANEATER
    JIM CORBETT

You can now get pretty good ammo off the shelf that shoots fine. But it's fugly expensive.......

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

depends more on the rifle. If you have a rifle that shoots well with factory ammo then no if you have rifle that doesn't then yes
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

No it is not necessary to have reloads for good enough accuracy for hunting, however, reloading causes you to:

Spend more time testing your loads at the range, so you get a couple benfits of it a) trigger time (practice trigger control so that you know exactly where the loads are going, that you are not pulling them) b) more intimate with your rifle ( you will learn to "feel" when the trigger is about to break over c) MORE confidence with your rifle (if you get a clover leaf at 100 yards with 5 shots and practice at longer ranges) for those hunting scenarios where that confidence helps you make a clean quick kill...

For the amount most people shoot per year, reloading has no financial benefits....
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

my 370 Sako costs around $120 for a box of 20 rounds, if you can find them. I can load them myself , tailor made with any standard or premium bullet . So bullet (premium) is $1.40, powder $0.55, brass is $2.00 each / by at least 10 loadings = $0.20, primer is less than $0.10 so the whole cartridge is $2.35. So a box of 20 is $47.00.......that's a saving of $73.00 a box.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

Absolutely not. No one needs to shoot tighter groups than 3 or 4 inches at whatever range you are hunting, need and want are different. Factory ammo in my experience will shoot that at 300 yards. Really, if you can hit a pie plate you should be good. And, I'm going to say this at huge risk of being flamed. All you need to hunt is a 30.06, a box of factory ammo and a bushnell 3-9. Having said that, I have a 300 RUM with a Bushnell elite 4200 6-26, and I reload so I can hit the flies at the 300 yard sign at the range.
    Quote Originally Posted by doubled View Post
    Bring beer and young guys and your problems are solved.

Originally Posted by Rock Doctor http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images...s/viewpost.gif
    I think we should decide, here and now, just what distance is to be considered "Out of range".
    That way the guys that can't shoot will know what they should be able to do, and the guys that can shoot will know when they are being unethical

RD

Some factory ammo is pretty good, some are just pure crapola. And alot of times it's dependant on your firearm on whether it likes a certain factory ammo or not. My guns know federal blue box sucks and winchester ammo stinks....they like Hornady or Federal Premiums.

Its kind of like tying your own fly's. You can buy them at the tackle store but its much more satisfying making them yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 500grhollowpoint View Post
    Absolutely not. No one needs to shoot tighter groups than 3 or 4 inches at whatever range you are hunting, need and want are different. Factory ammo in my experience will shoot that at 300 yards. Really, if you can hit a pie plate you should be good. And, I'm going to say this at huge risk of being flamed. All you need to hunt is a 30.06, a box of factory ammo and a bushnell 3-9. Having said that, I have a 300 RUM with a Bushnell elite 4200 6-26, and I reload so I can hit the flies at the 300 yard sign at the range.
    He is right. Rarely are you going to be taking a huntin shot while in the prone position. Most humans are not capable of less the 2"@100yds accuracy while standing, so decent factory ammo works fine. Also we don't actually need a vehicle capable of exceeding the speed limit either....