Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another noob to hunting

another noob to hunting

gone for grouse and ducks as a teen back in alberta. got my pal over the summer and love going to the range. I really want to get back into hunting, my wife wants to stick to the range only. I dont want to go hunting alone though, are there hunting guides that I could go out with? I have no idea where to hunt here. back in alberta we had "grazing reserves" where we could hunt. is there an equivilant here in BC?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: another noob to hunting

here its called Crown land and its all over the place, where do you live thats the best way to start. Drive up (elevation) and start hunting.
    Originally Posted by Gatehouse "I don't worry about the trim on rifle scopes. Probably because I have never caught the ghey."

I live in surrey, I am in the agassiz-harrison area lots as my folks and brother live out there. recently bought a 4x4 and never had to use it off road, looking forward to some hunting adventure. I know there are deer in the area as I belong to the range in harrison... look at the brave deer below....

wow thats hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by markt308 View Post
    wow thats hilarious!
    Not to poke fun, but you need to get a set of regs and read them. If you have a 4X4, a gun, a hunter number, and a lic, then you can go hunting. If your wife doesn't want you too, then you can't.

The deer were there all day too. we would have to pause shooting for 5-10 minutes for the animals to clear the range. One actually bedded down under a cedar tree. I was shooting my 9mm handgun, my sks 7.62x39 , and even shooting skeet with my 12 gauge, the deer did not scare. the thing that scared them away.... a flash from a dudes camera. odd.

passed my core exam this weekend, and sighted in my .308 and my scope. I need to gear up this week. looking to get , some camo/orange clothes, a skinning knife, saw, a first aid kit. anyone have other suggesttions on what I should pickup? I would feel better with a good GPS too any suggestions would be great.

A licence and a tag and you are good to go
    I'm not sure about hunting on the wet coast, but i use my bino's all the time, I don't own any orange clothes but if it makes you feel safer go for it.
    Don't overcomplicate it with to much gear, I usually go with basically what you have mentioned except the first aid kit, it is in my truck but not in my daypack.

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    Not to poke fun, but you need to get a set of regs and read them. If you have a 4X4, a gun, a hunter number, and a lic, then you can go hunting. If your wife doesn't want you too, then you can't.
    I told my wife if she didn't want me going alone, she could come with me. She said yes, and she rather enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
    A licence and a tag and you are good to go
    I'm not sure about hunting on the wet coast, but i use my bino's all the time, I don't own any orange clothes but if it makes you feel safer go for it.
    Don't overcomplicate it with to much gear, I usually go with basically what you have mentioned except the first aid kit, it is in my truck but not in my daypack.
    I agree with fireguy - don't buy more than you need. All you really need is good boots, warm/weather resistant clothes and binos.

IMO you should carry a small first aid kit with you in your pack. You're more likely to cut/hurt yourself while out hiking or gutting/skinning and you should have the kit with you, not the truck.