Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is a range finder a useful tool?

is a range finder a useful tool?

Is it a useful tool for hunting and target shooting? I need to zero the scope on my rifle and dont go to a rifle range, just into the bush. Is a range finder something you guys use when hunting? How easily do deer, bear elk and moose get spooked and how often do you shoot furthar than 200yrds? I bought one today cause I really want to get my scope on target and like I said I dont go to the range so have no way to judge how far away I am, but if it isn't something that is used often by good shooters then maybe I will just zero the rifle and return it while I can.

thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: is a range finder a useful tool?

It depends on how and where you hunt. For bow hunting, I find it an essential part of my equipment. For zeroing your rifle you could use a gps or pace the yardage off. If you like to sit when you hunt, range several points of reference from where you are. If you hike in the mountains or hunt open country, the difference between 200 and 400 yards can be difficult to determine. At those distances, you often have time to use your rangefinder before an animal spooks. Can you hunt without one? Of course. Is owning one helpful? Definitely.

One tip I learned the hard way: always pack a backup battery. A few years ago I made an awesome stalk on a 4 point mule deer with my bow. I was somewhere inside 50 yards when I tried to range him. Instead of a number, all I got was "LoB". No arrows flew that day and mr 4 point walked away.

useful yes, essential - no
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I used mine this past moose season AFTER I had the moose on the ground, the moose showed up, I put the cross hairs of my .338 Tika on the mark and then when it hit the ground, i put up my rangefinder to see that I shot my moose at 265 yds. I worked great !!!

I don't leave home without it. Animals can't see the laser. Miss one animal and you'll go out and buy one.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

What I find is that it practices your eye for distance. Most can estimate out to 300yds depending on terrain but past that is a lot harder to get a read on distance, for me anyway. I check distances in my hunting area so when I go there I know how far the treeline is , that stump over there etc. Also, at 7X and small in size, put it in shirt pocket, it is good for quick looks at prospective game.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

Useful. Yes. Just used mine on my goat hunt. I was shooting a 35 whelen and knowing that my goat was 350 yards away helped tremendously. One shot and he dropped like a rock. Sometimes animals look farther than they actually are guessing could mean going home empty handed. Not needed but for sure a bonus if you can afford to drop the few hundred bucks.

if you shoot over four hundred yards a range finder is essential. i have a turret on my rifle so i can comfortably shoot out to 800 yards and be in a pie plate almost every time if the conditions are favorable. not that i would shoot at an animal at that distance, but just for fun its nice to reach out and be able to hit something. its not just the range finder when you start shooting a long distance its the bullet you use and you have to handload to get the right amount of powder for your rifle. so what i'm trying to say is a rangefinder is just one aspect of many when it comes to long range shooting.

I even use my rangefinder to get me within range, knowing that the rock is 150 yards away and the deer is lets say 450, when I am at the rock I will be 300 away now. I always have it with me when I have my crossbow, judging critical distance is way to important to leave to guessing.

They're certainly a worthwhile part of the arsonal and if you've already picked one up, you probably won't want to get rid of it once you start playing around with it.

They have lots of uses besides ranging prey before shooting it. When your sitting you can range a bunch of landmarks when you set up. Then you can easily judge distance by eye when a critter pops out. Or you can use it to help lay out a stalk.

Also a helpful navigation tool when used with a map or gps, or even for drawing your own maps. Judging distance is one of the trickier aspects of orienteering.
    But then what do I know? I'm just a lowly woodcutter.