Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer Heart

Question Deer Heart

So should I shoot a deer this season (didn't manage last year and have been skunked so far this year too) what might I do with the deer's heart? I've had people that I've hunted with keep the heart to give to some friend of theirs. I've been eating a lot more primally for the last two months and am pretty sure the heart must be good for something. For those of you who do eat the heart what do you do with it? How do you prepare it?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Deer Heart

Best part of the deer imo ..i slice it into rings ..coat with flour and spices and fry it up have it with bacon and spuds ..good stuff ! usualy have some liver with it done the same way .
    Last edited by frenchbar; 11-07-2011 at 06:01 PM.
    Midnight toker

What Frenchie said! It's delicious. Now go get yourself a deer.

Trapper D Guest

first let sit overnight in salty water, then you can slice it going around it lenght ways , cutting thickness of 1/2 inch till you cut to center. you will end up with about a foot long strip 1/2 inch thick , flour salt and pepper it. while you were doing that half cook 4 strips of bacon ,take them out put heart in brown both sides , minute each or so. take heart out. then place 2 strips bacon on heart and roll them inside heart. place other 2 on top, tie string around heart with bacon , throw in oven and bake 45 minutes 350 . when cooked slice like roast .. very good way to cook deer heart
    Last edited by Trapper D; 11-07-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper d View Post
    or you can slice it going around it lenght ways , cutting thickness of 1/2 inch till you cut to center. You will end up with about a foot long strip 1/2 inch thick , flour salt and pepper it. While you were doing that half cook 4 strips of bacon ,take them out put heart in brown both sides , minute each or so. Take heart out. Then place 2 strips bacon on heart and roll them inside heart. Place other 2 on top, tie string around heart with bacon , throw in oven and bake 45 minutes 350 . When cooked slice like roast .. Very good way to cook deer heart
    yup ! My mom cooked it up that way as well when i was a youngster...im getting hungry lol
    Midnight toker

we just slice it up fry it with mushrooms ,onions and some gravy mix .. awsome.

ya ..dont forget the onions with it !
    Midnight toker

cut it up, boil it and then train your dog with it

Our family recipe is to clean it out really good and kind of open it up on the inside. Make a stuffing similar to your normal turkey/chicken stuffing and fill the heart as full as you can. Roast in oven with some water and broth (potatoes , carrots, and onions),etc. Can be eaten hot or cold. Sliced heart sandwiches can't be beat.

Quote Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
    cut it up, boil it and then train your dog with it
    X2 on this one....I will bring the heart home for a treat for my dogs and cats...I will not fight them for it
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main