Thread: mergansers ??

Re: mergansers ??

no such thing as good eating ducks or geese

Quote Originally Posted by Lillypuff View Post

Big game hunters......
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Lillypuff View Post
    Another brilliant quote from a high I.Q. HBC member!!!---Field Marshal.

just my thoughts, field marshall. I shot a few and could not eat them theyt were shot in the pea fields. The co's I was hunting with would not even take them. One fellow got stuck with allof them. The only people I met that enjoyed them were from the rock. Too each there own. As for the personal comment how old are you 12?

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    have any of the people above actually eaten one?

I havent but if someone cooked one up and said hey try this i would. I just couldnt bring myself to do it on my own.hahahaha

Lorne
    Ate them as a kid the "Old Mans LAW" you shoot it you pluck it and you eat it. I DON"T SHOOT MERGANSERS ANYMORE!!!
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

i have aten them- comparing to a mallard they are gross..i agree with foxton- i dont shoot em anymore, fly low- easy to shoot look kinda kewl but just dont taste good at all to me..

Eaten all 3 species....but no one wants to know the truth

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    there we go!!

Anyone else that has responded actually eaten one?

Someone said they are a fish duck so they taste like crap. I have shot and eaten TONS of diving ducks (scuap, canvasbacks, buffleheads, etc) and they are damn tasty. Back in the market hunter days canvasbacks were the mostly highly prized duck and fetched more $$$ per pound then any other duck. And you wont find an oz of grain in a can. I have also seen TONS of mallards eat fish. they dont give a crap, they are opportunists. I havent tried merganser, and probably wont. but i wont go saying it tastes like shit cause i have never tried it.
    Yes I've eaten them. If it was shot, it was plucked/drawn and added to the freezer. Amazing when one knows how to cook game, that it can be quite tasty.

Try quartering an onion and leave one quarter inside the body cavity overnight in the fridge. Optional to leave it while roasting. Use salt and white viniger to soak your birds overnight to draw out the blood. Some use milk, similar to preparing liver. Glazes and marinades!!

Yes, as one member noted but I never had the pleasure to ... Canvasbacks are very tasty.

Wonders how many valley hunters, smell the open mouths of their latest plump mallard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian F. View Post
    Eaten all 3 species....but no one wants to know the truth
    Not sure if they could handle it Ian.