Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First (real) gun

Re: First (real) gun

What are you hunting ? Where are you hunting ? Will you have to shoot at distance?30-06 is a good all around gun,but there are better applications to get the job done.250 yds to 300 yds on moose or elk is probly max with a good bullet and shot placement.One shot is what your after.Look at some mags and maybe get a good used one with not many rounds through it so it's not shot out.
    Big bullets ,Big holes ,Big meals...

Thanks for all the replies guys/gals. I will be after deer, moose, maybe a bear (black). A few yotes round the farm that push there boldness. An all-round gun is what Im after as well as an all-weather gun. Ill start with baby steps as a $500 dollar gun will kill a deer just as dead as a $1000 dollar gun will as far as im conserned. Its not the gun Im really interested in anyway. It the expirience,and getting out in the bush. I get out lots with all the fishing I do, as well as owning a jetboat to explore those places many cant get to. Again, thanks for the input people. Oh, and keep them comming.

savage 300 win mag are on sale now $499

SteelHeadFreak, I have been packing a model 53 Winchester since '88 and have taken plenty of moose,deer, bear, cougar etc up 500yds. You won't regret getting one and the rounds are easy to find and resonably priced in comparison to a lot of the other calibers.

Pull your head out of your Ass
    long enough to see how stupid you look!!!!!

Where you at? I picked up my husky 30-06 at a pawn shop quite a few years back. Put a decent scope on it myself and all told was under 500 bucks hasn't failed me yet........but i don't shoot farther than 2oo+ yards so thats somethin you'd have to decide. A good lower cal like a 270 will shoot much longer and flatter but less knockdown(good deer or smaller gun), or higher like a 7mm mag does knockdown and distance(good fer everything). But the farther you shoot the better scope you'll need and thats where the money comes in. Also good to get a gun thats got easily available and inexpensive ammo. (such as 7mm/30 cal/270 etc.)But it definately depends on what type of shooting you do and what animals you will be shooting. Like i say mine was under 500 bucks and i can hunt almost anything with it but i'm pretty careful about those longer shots.