Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First (real) gun

First (real) gun

So Im getting back in the game. Looking for some sugestions on an inexpesive starter gun in a 30-06. Notice I said inexpensive and not cheep? Big difference. What about a package deal scoped and bore sighted? Pricing? Ive seen some packages for $500 plus or minus, any better or worse?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First (real) Gun

hmm, the packages most often come with pretty terrible scopes. You're best to buy an inexpensive rifle and a reasonable scope. Mossberg ATR, Stevens 200, a Savage...all should leave you with a decent amount of cash to get a halfway decent scope. Best inexpensive scope is probably bushnell elite 3200.

If you are looking to spend about $700 you could get one of the stainless Savages or a remington 700 SPS and the Elite 3200. Or for about $550 one of the cheaper rifles previously mentioned and the elite.

Oh yah, stay away from the remington 710...

my .02 I would get the Savage
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

Re: First (real) gun

S a v a g e

My vote is for the Tikka T3. Synthetic stock, blued or stainless barrel, detachable magazine, and budget for a Limbsaver Recoil pad. Well worth the $40. Well worth the cost as the gun is my choice. Also keep your eyes on www.canadiangunnutz.com for good deals.

For the $500-ish dollar range, Savage is probably the king. For my money though, I'd save up and buy a CZ or a Tikka (depending on wether you're into good wood and blue (CZ), or stainless/syntehtic (Tikka)) . I also second the notion of a Bushnell 3200 or 4200 series scope.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

Thumbs up Re: First (real) gun

Remington 700 SPS in either detach mag or hinged floorplate

Leupold or Talley mounts

Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40 or Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

You know a smokin' awesome rifle and a hell of a good deal is the Savage model 114 with Accutrigger. Get whatever calibre but the .308 or something close would be good. This is a beautiful gun. Nice wood on this too. It's actually called 114 American Classic.

Reliable guns will come very close to Wholesales price.

Why not get a good used rifle? I picked up a beautiful Remington Model 6 in pump action 30-06 with a decent 4X scope for about $400 a couple of years ago. It was purchased through a gun shop. We figured there couldn't have been more then a box or two of ammo shot through it.

SteelHeadFreak there is a savage here in princeton at the outdoor spore ..he can orderin in a 30-06.it is synthetic stock,black matte barrel,simmons 3-9x40 scope barrel sighted..for 550$..i might be able to get a discount for ya ..thats a maybe tho haha.if ur interested haller at me