Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liver Pates

Liver Pates

Hi All,
    I was wondering about liver pates. Who makes it? How do you store the livers? What's your recipe? Just ducks/geese or do some use deer?

I'm not a "liver and onions" kind of guy, so I was hoping to save it up for some Christmas treats....

Thanks,
    VI

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Liver Pates

I save my Goose livers in vac seal packages and freeze. make as follows. Put 1 lb or so of liver 1 sliced onion and cover with water in a pot bring to a boil then turn way down and cook for 20 min or till liver is cooked. Take out the livers and cool. Put in a food processor with 1/3 cup chopped SWEET or RED onion 3/4 lb of butter, some red wine (I do this by sight so I'm guessing about a shot glass or 2) season salt, pepper and cajun or tex mex spice blend it all together till it turns to a paste put in a bowl and in the fridge for a couple of hrs. EAT.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Nice sounding recipe. Thanks for that.

Wondering if that recipe would work with deer? I don't generally eat them, but if that works...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I make moose and deer pate when ever I get some. Made some moose this year as a matter of face. I'll post the recipe when I get home. Great on a salty cracker.
    Rejuvenation: Sitting in the slash in sub-zero temperatures waiting for first light and hearing antlers clashing together. Oh man, life is good!

Hmmm.... sounds alot better than fried.... I've never been one to eat any organs... tried them occaisionally, but never liked them, and I have given them to a friend that enjoys them... BUT I tried some liver pate this summer and it was awesome! so, must just be a mental block for me... I would be willing try the above mentioned recipe, as it sounds good!! Maybe start keeping mine... haha!

Mousse style liver pate is easy. Most people overcook the liver though, which gives it a grainy texture
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Mousse style liver pate is easy. Most people overcook the liver though, which gives it a grainy texture
    So how do we get pate from say a deer liver that I would normally leave in the bush. BTW, I love liver sausage from the store in those little tube packages so if I can learn to make it????

Ok here is my recipe.

1 lb liver
    1/2 lb sliced bacon
    1 large onion
    4 pods garlic
    4 bat leaves
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
    2 tblspn Lea and Perrins
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1/8 tsp ground cloves

Wash liver; put in a covered pan with cut up bacon. Add bay leaves, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and Lea and Perrins. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes in just enough water to cover. When done, discard bay leaves; add remaining ingredients and put in a blender and purée. This will keep in the refrigerator for a week, and it will also freeze well.

Note: before I blend the mixture I remove some of the liquid and add it back in as I blend so I can adjust how runny the pate is.

I have tripled this recipe and it worked well.
    Rejuvenation: Sitting in the slash in sub-zero temperatures waiting for first light and hearing antlers clashing together. Oh man, life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Wondering if that recipe would work with deer? I don't generally eat them, but if that works...
    My deer liver never "live" that long but I d say try it I dont see why not might want to add a little extra spice and onion.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.