Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: goat and sheep meat

Re: goat and sheep meat

Here is another hunt I did last year. Buddy was stubborn and wanted to take the whole ram himself...this is packing it off the mountain, deboned meat in the pack, cape and horns.

I would guess it is the minority of alpine hunters, but some practise shooting through the front shoulders to pack out less meat....seems idiotic and disrespectful to me but it happens.....real shame cause sheep/goat is some of the finest meat around.

Our young billy tasted better than my antlerless whitetail, just tougher.

Goat meat can be tough if it's an old billy but nothing beats sheep meat, even from a 8+ year old ram.

Quote Originally Posted by one-shot-wonder View Post
    I would guess it is the minority of alpine hunters, but some practise shooting through the front shoulders to pack out less meat....seems idiotic and disrespectful to me but it happens.....real shame cause sheep/goat is some of the finest meat around.
    Had a guide outfitter I was going to work with exspain to me to tell clients to do this, so it would be less work to haul off the mountain. Our working relationship ended.

Hmmm Sheep ribs over the fire "man O man" it is good especially not having any salt or spices to go with it. The back part gets a little chewy and a little fattier but very tasty... I was doubtful at first, glad we packed them down.

W.
    Never Mind The Bullshit !!!!!

I would agree that sheep meat is one of the best types of meat out there, but I am suprised that people like goats? My experience with goats is that even the back straps and tenderloins are tough and the flavour is really not all that good either. Maybe its just the area that I hunt goats? I know a peace country mule deer is way better eating than a Chilcotin mule deer.

how does the meat keep when you are still a few days from a cooler?

I fed the in-laws some sheep meat last summer after my hunt and they said it was the best meat they've ever tasted--and they were a little skeptical because they don't usually eat wild meat.

If you can find a snow patch to stash the meat in, it helps it to last until you can get it to the cooler.