Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: goat and sheep meat

goat and sheep meat

do you hunters eat your goat/sheep? or is that mainly a trophy hunt? been doing a lot of picture browsing and story reading and always see the head stuffed into the pack, but dont see meat beig hauled out.

thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: goat and sheep meat

Sheep is perhaps the best meat out there and goat is pretty high on my list (outside of the rut). For me it's all coming out in one pack hence the 120 lb+ weights. In some of those photos they must have a partner packing some of the meat or they are making two trips. Check the regs . . . legally the meat has to come out and that goes for the guided hunts too!
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

Hauled the meat from my goat out this year and made some killer sausage from it. Even the tenderloin was tough but what flavour best sausage I have made. Going shoot a meat goat next time I draw now that I have a trophy goat.

We would debone all the meat and it always came out. I would say Sheep meat is the best of all wild game and goat would come in 2nd or 3rd. Packs get pretty heavy but that's what it's all about.

Pretty tasty stuff. Sheep, caribou, & goat, all really good flavour. Usually pick the carcass pretty clean. Ribs and tenderloin dont last more than a couple days.

mmmmmm, Goat!!
    Somebody call a doctor!!! It's been longer than 4 hours!!

until this past season goat was my number 1 best tasting meat.this season i got to taste sheep for the first time and i have to say hat it is hard for me to determin which once is accually better because omg was the sheep ever good
    i didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a friggin vegatarian

cool thanks for the replys. have had both goat and sheep but never wild meat. I'm new to the hunting/shooting world and love the scenery from all these high alpine hunts! I've done backpacking weekend trips but never to places as cool as what i see here!

Not only is the meat good, but it's the law to pack out the meat.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Deboned sheep and goat meat can easily fit in a pack if you pack right and you might not be able to tell all the time. Especially on day hunts from spike camp where the packs are near empty beforehand.

Here is a photo of a double header sheep hunt I did a few years ago. Both packs are loaded with all our gear (for a 7 day hunt...this was day 3 so we had a lot of food still ), all 4 quarters off each ram (deboned), capes and horns...these were damn heavy, easily the heaviest pack I have ever worn...Meat was pretty darn good though!