Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lumby Grizzly

Lumby Grizzly

I am the person that shot that bear,I want to clear up some of the reports I have read and heard.
    First is that my dog did not initiate this attack,she was about 10-12 yds in front of me is where she was trained to be and dose not chase anything. My dog did not even know the bear was there as I did not know.
    The dog is with me as I am getting up in age and my hearing is not that good anymore.
    Another report is that I shot the bear to save the dog, This is not true I shot the bear to save my life. It all happened so fast you do not have time to think, As soon as I saw the bear I hollered as loud as I could as it was going strait at my dog,the bear stopped and turned his head towards me and its hair went up on it,s neck and his eyes locked on mine and he stated towards me and I fired, he went down and got up again and I shot again and he ran into the thick bush just yards from me. I ran from where he went in, to give me some more room incase he came at me again.
    I went home and phoned the co,s office. I had to go and give a statement and the officer said they would meet me in the am to go and find the bear.
    Myself and two officers went to find the bear and had a time to find as it was quite aways back in the bush,my dog finally found it for us.
    I have to say that the two officers that were with me were very professional ,their first concern was my safety, and not at anytime did I feel intimidated by them at all,they were very polite and respectful all the time and did not try to put words in my mouth at all. I had the experience to be with these two gentleman the hole day and was a good experience, the co,s do not always get good press as I have read on this forum, but these two officers were at the top of their profession.
    I hope this clears up some of the confusion by the media. Thankyou !!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Lumby Grizzly

glad to hear your ok

Well thanks for coming forward with the real story, should clear the rumour mill. That moment where you were locked eye to eye must have been a rush.

Congrats on getting through a very sticky situation.Contrary to what Mr.Suzuki says there are not many areas left in the Province where a confrontation like yours could not occur. Gunner
    Support the BCWF, they volunteer to benefit all of us.

Howdy, glad you came out unharmed! You don't need this kind of excitement to often in your life. Been there-done that. Later

Wow talk about shooting under pressure. Was he running at the time of the shot? Just wondering if it was a hard shot. Do you even "aim" or just point and shoot. If he was walking towards you it might make the shot easier but a running bear not only adds pressure to the shooter but is a bouncing moving target. Glad it turned out the way it did. Good dog to have found it the next day as well. Thanks for the story.

Glad you and your dog were unharmed.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Must have surprised it. Way to keep your cool. Its good to be alive.

glad to hear u and your dog are ok . also happy to hear the co's u dealt with were good and professional about the situation. cudos for making a good shot under pressure, as it is hard thing to do

Glad you and your dog are okay.