Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dead deer = other deer have cleared out?

Re: Dead deer = other deer have cleared out?

I shot a moose one day and the next day, driving up the same road my buddy jumped out to shoot one and slipped on my gut pile. The gut piles were 300 yds apart.

I think conditions, time of year, and buck maturity has a lot to do with it. In the rut you can see another buck hook up with the flattops of your shot buck in the same area sometimes in the same day. Lots of deer will go nocturnal if it is a prime area for them to be in. If one of them gets whacked at the start of the season they'll stick to heavier cover or only venture out in the open in the dark. The bigger bucks will be a lot more cautious than the younger ones, especially early in the season.

Last Sept, Chappy and I shot two bucks in the same cut block on the same trail 24 hours apart. This year the third buck in the group is still in that area.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

If an area is hunted hard for a while by a number of guys of course deer will be more wary but the sound of a shot isn't nearly as big a deal as you might think and a gut pile = no effect.

Reminds me of a question I have often thought about. Will shooting grouse near deer camp cause the deer to move out. My experience has been no.
    Always remember the rear end you kick today may be the one you need to kiss tomorrow.

Kids that hunt and fish don't grow up to rob little old ladies!

We dragged my GF's deer out of the woods and into her yard last week and 15 minutes later there were 3 does standing where the buck was shot (and later dragged past) watching us gut him.

I have also been elbow deep in a whitetail's gut cavity and had another buck come down the same trail, got bloody had prints on my rifle taking the second deer, and whitetails are as spookey as they come.

Cheers
    Rod
    --------------------------------------------
    "If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting." Aristotle
    --------------------------------------------
    United Bowhunters of BC (Lifer)
    Backcountry Horsemen of BC.