Thread: turkey sausage recipes anyone?

turkey sausage recipes anyone?

Plans for thanksgiving dinner changed unexpectedly this year and, long story short... I've got about 9lbs of boned out turkey meat (still raw) taking up realestate in my fridge.

I just bought myself a sausage stuffer so I thought I'd try turkey sausage. Checked the web and didn't find any recipes that looked very good. Anyone got some good recipes to share.

I'm looking for something that doesn't call for pork so my wife will eat it and no gluten so my son can eat it. Other then that it's wide open. I'll be using 2" fibre casings for my wife and pork casings for the rest. Any suggestion?

Also a question about fat to meat ratio...
    Can I grind some fatty skin into it to boost the fat ratio? If so how much, If not is there a better way?
    But then what do I know? I'm just a lowly woodcutter.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: turkey sausage recipes anyone?

Well I ended up winging it.

I used all of the meat minus one of the breasts and about a third of the skin (the more fatty stuff). worked out to 6lbs total

2 tbs sweet paprika
    4tbs salt
    6cloves garlic
    3tbs herb de provence
    liquid smoke
    a good splash of balsamic
    cup of water

I double ground the fat + skin through the fine plate then mixed it in with the meat and spices. Then switched to the coarse plate. Double ground the whole mixture and stuffed it into the casings.

I thing the fat ratio is ok maybe a touch dry. I'd probably turn down the salt a pinch next time but my wife and son think it's just right. We steamed one of the fibre casings in a food saver bag and it slices into nice sandwich meat. The hog casings bbq'd up really nicley as well.
    But then what do I know? I'm just a lowly woodcutter.

Re: turkey sausage recipes anyone?

I did this one, substituted turkey for the chicken, and used fresh spinach, turned out excellent (cut and pasted):

The recipe is a modified version of the Chicken sausage with basil and tomatoes from Charcuterie. I noticed from looking at the package of the chicken sausage I get from Sam's that they subsitute cheese for pork fat. Given that I need to loose a few pounds, we decided to try that approach. Here's the modified recipe. If you have the book, the original recipe is on page 124.

3 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs cubed
    1 pound of shredded mozzarella cheese
    1 cup crumbled feta cheese
    1 1/2 ounces kosher salt
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    5 large cloves of garlic
    4 tablespoons basil (I threw extra in because I like basil)
    1/2 cup diced roma tomatoes
    1/4 sun dried tomatoes

The above ingredients were mixed together in a bowl (see photo below) and put through the meat grinder. Then using the paddle attachment, it was mixed on low for 1 minute. Then, add to the bowl:

1/4 cup EVOO (Extra virgin olive oil)
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1/4 cup chilled red wine (I used a good red wine that I would drink)

Mix using paddle attachment for another minute on low. Place in fridge to keep cold and ready to stuff. We used hog casing bought from the local Academy. I made sure to soak the casings for at least an hour in tempid water and rinsed the insde of each one for several minutes prior to stuffing.