Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pins and their placement (achery question)

Re: Pins and their placement (achery question)

to the oringinal Question I concur with Ambush 100%

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Thanks everyone.
    Another question would be, how much speed does an arrow scrub off at 50 yards and at 100 yards?
    that varys depending upon arrow construction, Fletching and for that matter points used

for example I can build 2 arrows identical except build one 1" longer than the other and can have as much as 15 fps differance at 50 yards simply based on how the string transfers the energy to the arrow and how well that arrow absorbs and retains that energy Reasoning: the longer one might be underspined because of the extra lenth and therefore bleed the energy off by acting slightly like a wet noodle ...

Make sense?

Fletching changes dependant upon style, angle ..... construction etc.... the more its angled (2 degrees or 4 degree) the 4 degree will created more drag than the 2 degree fletching and rob the arrow of forward motion ....

differant points make a differance based solely upon shape and the amount of drag it creates .... a long skinny tapered point will fly through the air alot easier than a blunt ....

Hope that helps answer you ???
    Last edited by Bowzone_Mikey; 10-13-2011 at 11:51 AM.
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

The rate of drop will increase as you go down range, but the gap between your pins covers a lot more vertical inches the farther you go away from the target. So I've always found that my pins appear to be pretty evenly spaced. I have 4 pins, 20 to 50 yards with 10 yard spacing.

And if the "one pin to 40 yards" thing ain't really working don't be too depressed. Most people who do that have to hold a little high at 40 and a little low at 20. It's a bow, the arrow arcs. They learn how much to hold up or down with practice.

I see, well thanks for the answers again guys. I am heading over now with my bow to go try to stick a big black bear or a buck!
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Initial speed and terminal speed are dependant on the total make-up and effeciency of each and every component of your equipment. I will give you an example:

Initial speed (at bow): 320fps Kinetic energy: 71.3
    Terminal speed: @50yds: 287.23fps Kinetic energy: 57.4 @100yds: 257.36fps Kinetic energy: 46.1
    Total drop: @50yds: 43 inches @100yds: 186.3 inches
    Drop per yard at target: @50yds: 1.8 inches @100yds: 4.0 inches

If I were to change anything at all, be it arrow length, point weight, nocks, fletch length or even the brand of fletch etc on my arrow or make any change at all to my bow in any way.......these numbers will change for better or worse. Making any change to any part of your equipment (this includes your release aid) is critical to the arrows impact point. Whatever equipment configuration you choose to run, the most important thing to remember is that you must ensure that your arrows are perfectly matched one-to-the-other. Have fun.....be safe.
    The tournament may not be won by the most mentally prepared, physically fit and technically sound archer, but that's the way to bet the smart money.

Note: If it ain't broke...........keep pissin' with it............it soon will be.

I have mine set at 10 yards apart starting at 10 (10, 20,30,40,50) Im shooting a fairly fast bow (Mathews Switchback, IBO rated at 318 although I have yet to shoot though a Chrony )I did this because I like to hunt both small and big game and Id like to start shooting 3D and I figured this set up would be the best and easiest to remember
    "Definition of an arrow rest: A two inch sapling half way between an archer and the deer."

Quote Originally Posted by qhergt View Post
    I have mine set at 10 yards apart starting at 10 (10, 20,30,40,50) Im shooting a fairly fast bow (Mathews Switchback, IBO rated at 318 although I have yet to shoot though a Chrony )I did this because I like to hunt both small and big game and Id like to start shooting 3D and I figured this set up would be the best and easiest to remember
    I'm not sure what your draw weight , draw length, or weight of arrow are, but the first pin would be fine for 1-20 yards, in hunting or 3D.
    I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbc View Post
    I'm not sure what your draw weight , draw length, or weight of arrow are, but the first pin would be fine for 1-20 yards, in hunting or 3D.
    70# 28" draw 340 spined arrows 9.3 gpi 29" with 100g heads for approx 370 grains weight. 20 yard pin will work from 1-20 yards and still put me within an inch of where I am aiming. But for close range shooting of small game I sure like to have that 10 yard pin as i find my blunts kill best with headshots
    "Definition of an arrow rest: A two inch sapling half way between an archer and the deer."

64# pull, 28 " draw, shooting Gold Tip Expedition Hunters cut to 26 1/4", with blazer vanes, and 100 grain heads, for a total of 356 grains. I am bang on from 9-20 feet with same pin..I haven't shot anything closer. I wonder if my lighter arrows are the difference? When I made the switch to blazer vanes, my POI was at least an inch higher at 20 yards, than the standard vanes.
    I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

I don't quite understand the whole point of one pin up to 40 yards. I shoot one of the faster bows out there(bowtech invasion at 83.2 lbs) and I still have all of my pins at ten yard increments starting at 20 yards. I would definetely be shooting low with my 20 yard pin at 40 yards. I just dont see the benefit of the whole one pin thing. Just me.

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by qhergt View Post
    70# 28" draw 340 spined arrows 9.3 gpi 29" with 100g heads for approx 370 grains weight. 20 yard pin will work from 1-20 yards and still put me within an inch of where I am aiming. But for close range shooting of small game I sure like to have that 10 yard pin as i find my blunts kill best with headshots
    ghert - if I do the math right your arrows should be coming in at closer to 417 grains than 370. Shaft - 260 to 270(ish), insert - 15, tip - 100, fletching - 20, and nock - 10 to 14.......all adds up to more than 370 grains.

But it's the fight of the finished arrow that counts. Oh yeah, and the shooter.