Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pins and their placement (achery question)

Pins and their placement (achery question)

Hi guys,
    I am always trying to get my sight pins just perfect for my compound bow. What I am wondering is weather the pins should be equally staggered apart (20-30-40-50-60), or weather the gap should increase as you go further down the pins. I can think of reasons for both, but it must be one or the other, I am favoring choice B as the arrow should be slowing down.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Pins and their placement (achery question)

you must actually shoot your bow to find the point of impact at each distance and adjust your pins to match.shooting at 20 , then moving them equal spacing is asking for troubles.
    wounding is not an option.

its a great question, but on my bow i have only 3 pins, 30, 40, 50yards and when i look at them they are pretty equally spaced, there is a slight hair difference on my friends bow that has 20-60yard pins but pretty close. i would imagine at greater distances the pins should be farther apart because of the speed.

I just thought screw on a good sharp tip and fling it. I mean long bows don't even have sights, right? Plus my bow is super fast so I can almost use one pin out to 40 yards.

I understand that you must find the impact point of each pin.

Can anyone actually answer the question?

Wounding is for losers.
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

I think Ddog is right. Mine seem to be equal spacing, but I wondering more for pin stacking.

Bow Walker Guest

You're right in that the speed of the bow has a lot to do with pin gap. My bow shoots int he 250-ish fps range and my pins do get noticeably further apart after the 30 yard mark.

Today's fast bows a quite capable of having just one pin to allow you to shoot out to around the 40-ish yard mark. The drop in trajectory after that will happen - it's just not as definite as it is with slower bows.

Get out somewhere that you can step back to at east 60 yards and start shooting at the 20 yard mark (if you've got one of those speed demons) get the pin dead on at 20 yards and then move out ten yards at a time, shooting with the same pin. See how the point of impact slowly drops out of the bull. When you fet to a spot where the P.O.I. drops enough that you've got to move the pin - that's where your second pin will be.

Repeat for the number of pins on your sight and you should probably end up with something like a set up that is 20 (or maybe 30), then 40, then 50 then 60...

From the Spott-Hogg instructions. Method 2: "Sight in the 40 yd pin, by moving the pin gaurd up, down, and side to side until the 40 yd pin is impacting spot on. Then use the individual pin adjustments to sight in the other pins. using this method the pins will have a more even spread across the pin guard." That was word for word from Spott-Hogg. Method 1: was sighting in the 20 yd pin first. Method 3: is using the bubble as an extra pin. Cheers Roscoe

Short answer. Yes your gap will increase exponentialy as your distance increases.
    Put your middle pin slightly above centre and sight that one first by moving the whole housing. Then do the rest by moving the pins.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Thanks everyone.
    Another question would be, how much speed does an arrow scrub off at 50 yards and at 100 yards?

Bow Walker Guest

No one has done 'ballistics' on arrow speed and/or KE over the useful shooting yardage of any given shaft. With so many variables that go into building an arrow it's almost impossible to get the data.