Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking quality pictures of your kill

Re: Taking quality pictures of your kill

Yup, you bet. Everyone has their own opinion. This for sure is a hunting forum and the reason we are all here is because we all enjoy the sport. Nobody ever said there is anything wrong blood in a photo, it is absolutely part of what we all do. There are lots here that don't mind the gory photos either and that is their prerogative. I also totally agree that there will be those that even think that posing with a dead creature is distasteful and disrespectful to the dead animal but i'm pretty certain that it will be those photos that depict extreme blood and gore that will get the most negative responses. We all know that hunting involves some crimson and I for one am one happy hunter when my hands and arms are covered in it, it means I was successful and that is a great day. I also agree with photos such as "Shooter's" they are great, they depict events of the hunt and help with our fond memories of the experience. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Guns and bows are also part of the hunt and should be part of the memories, we are proud of our choice of quarry and it should be part of your photos.

I think that all Coach I were talking about is if you are going to take a photo of your prize, take some time to make it look appealing. If you don't feel that is necessary or really don't care then so be it, this thread then really isn't for you. Each to their own. I for one think that people would appreciate my photo with my prize animal if it had the least amount of blood and gore as possible. Sometimes it's not always possible and most people understand that. A little effort can go a long way. The techniques I learned were from a very respected and accomplished taxidermist. I wonder how many people have their trophy animal mounted with bullet holes, tongues out and covered in blood because that is the way it expired...

Like Coach said on the start of this thread, it's about helping others to take a better photo, not to criticize. If you are interested in learning how to take a quality photo with your freshly harvested game, then read on, if not then it is your choice to move onto another thread.

'Blainer' - Great pronghorn photo, I think the blue sky in the background works well. As said before, sometimes it's not always practical to get all the blood out of the photo, your prong horn just has bright lipstick on. If it bothered you, you could always try and convert the photo to B&W. Ive done that before with success.

'Bow Walker' - Very good on the laying down pose, ears look natural too and it looks like you may have positioned the bow to cover any wounds.

Here are a few of my own.

Pine bow to cover some ugly holes.
    Walk softly and carry a big stick.

Well said BearStump and Bugler. Nice buck photo Bugler and BearStump, your photo didn't show.

the most i do is try to take the pics before i gut them cuz i dont like seeing the gut sack in pics. ravensfoot good job on the pics but u left the blood trail in the last pic.
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

I find one very easy thing to do, to make the picture look quite nice, is to hold the ears forword. Ravensfoot, your doing a good job : )
    Also a little handfull of grass or ferns or whatever, over the bullet hole.

yup that was a woops I didn't realize until after we got back. Red sure shows up well in the snow.
    We actually got this one to sit still long enough for a pose.

I really like taking cool trophy shots. After years and many trophies for clients I have learned that the 'great' trophy shot actually gets VERY appreciated by the hunter for years after.
    After guideing for various tv personalities over the years I have as well picked up on some tips.
    The most common tip for a great trophy shot from these guys has been the ' no gun in the rack' tip. Its a no brainer , if you want a great trophy shot , take a great pic of the trophy...then maybe a pic of your gun? or at least 'subtly' include it in the background.
    A smoke hanging outta your mouth and a non smile is always a 'quality smasher' as well.
    Try not to have the main part of yout trophy between any part of your body and the lens , make a clear pic of your trophy with you included. With antlers , try to not have your hands on the rack , sounds picky but it really helps out in the trophy shot.
    If you really want a great memory pic with quality presentation , take LOADS of pics. Take the time to clear branches ect. If theres a great backdrop 20 yards away...GO FOR IT ! its a once in a lifetime experience. Most of all SMILE! but take shitloads of pics with many angles or even a few pics extra with your equipment and trophy , makes it worth while.

Here's a couple examples from my past,

mix it up a bit with different displays,

Heres a few more examples,

It took a WHILE to hack down enough willow to expose this trophy and we should have clipped a few more branches to make it real good.

no gun , no guts , hunter off to the side , no hands on the rack,

Again , no hands on the rack , no weapon , ( to each the prefrence) and the trophy NOT between the hunters and lens.

same again , trophy off to side , no hands on rack.....

i disagree with not showing the rifle asa persons rifle choice, load development and time in is as much a part of the story anything else.

Standing to far back from the animal so your not even in focus or not even near the animal always looks, bad holding the head gives perspective

I would much rather see a picture of a hunter with his personal choice of arms then one without it otherwise you might as well be looking at roadkill
    Last edited by Barracuda; 10-10-2011 at 08:37 PM.
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Great pics and advice, proguide66! Exactly what I was looking for when I started this thread. You're so right about it being a once in a lifetime moment. Why not capture it the way you want to remember it? I love the BT pic with a lot if the animal hidden behind the stump - kinda like the way you normally have to find them.

Gun in the rack would have murdered this trophy shot......

This is a great subtle weapon in pic shot

This is one of my fav 'lucky' shots in the field....( we took dozens and only a few made the album of this buck.)

Heres an idea for gun/trophy/equipment shot

Anyway , there's some ideas for the interested...I love the memories and great pics are well worth sharing and digging up years later to re live it all ! Take a camera where ever you go and take shitloads of pics as the 'in the field' pics kick ass against the upside down in the garage pics!