Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Taking quality pictures of your kill

Re: Pictures of big game

Quote Originally Posted by chilcotin hillbilly View Post
    This year it would be nice to see some quality pictures of trophies taken. Serious trophy hunters tend to take good pictures such as sheep, or goat hunters.
    The rest of the semi trophy/meat hunters tend to butcher the pictures of their harvest. Lets give as many pointers on taking good pictures as possible.

Let hear more tips, I enjoy seeing everyones trophies but choke on the quality of pictures taken and shared on this site.
    A good way to get people to think the way you think is to slam them ain't it? This is the exact attitude I was talking about in the other thread that the link was posted up for. This subject has been beaten to death. IMO if you choke on the quality of the pictures taken on this site, then you be best to not come here. Hunting sites are NOT photographer pureist sites. They are for hunters of all shapes and sizes that share a common interest, a love for the outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by r106 View Post
    So you guys are saying Don't do this?? lol Basically do the opposite

Those 2 pics are just fine. Nothing wrong with them at all. If we expected everyone to be top-notch photographers then not a lot of hunting pics would be posted on this site, as most people aren't pureists when they take pics. They are just everyday joes. I'm glad you at least took some pics to remember the hunt with years down the line.

Re: Taking quality pictures of your kill

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Coach,
    Like I said, I take the time because as a photographer, I like good pics. I also know that there are a ton of people out there with cameras that ain't photographers and never will be. Some people will never take a good picture no matter how expensive their camera is. And there ain't nothing wrong with that. They take pics for memories sake. My old man always carried a camera and tried to snap a few pics of a lot of his animals. A lot of them weren't all that pretty. Sometimes a gutpile got in the way. Most of the time the tongue was hanging out. But the fact is, he took pics and I am thankful today to have those pics of his critters so my childern can see them. It don't matter what they look like, they are a family heritage that can be passed on to future generations. Jumping on fellow hunters for the quality of their pics or lack of is just simply wrong. Who cares what the picture looks like. It is their memory and experience they are sharing, not yours. Not something worthy of jumping all over hunters about.
    This one is for Hillbilly. Time to look at things from a different perspective eh? We do not hunt to make people happy on the internet. We hunt for our own reasons. If you choke on most pics posted up on this site, then maybe you shouldn't be here.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    Nice pictures stoneguide. I would rather look at pictures that catch the moment any day over fake set-up shots.

While I try to take the best shot I can, I am no professional at photography and the last thing that I'm thinking about when taking a picture is cutting the tongue out or what some internet critic is going to think months down the road.

I would also rather see a photo of someone's animal lying in the middle of the road than no photo at all. I know for myself if I thought that I was going to be criticized for taking a picture where the animal fell down then I wouldn't bother going to the trouble to put a picture on here. If everyone with a so-so picture did that then we wouldn't have much to look at, would we?

I'm not sure that I understand why some feel that the only good photo of a dead animal is one where the animal just looks like it is sleeping. I guess that I would understand if I was a Trophy hunter because as the OP suggests they are the only ones who can take a decent picture.
    Your wrong, only Serious Trophy hunters of sheep and goats.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

And make sure to sit 15 feet behind the animal to make it look bigger
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

I personally prefer the REAL pics usually taken during an adrenaline rush in between celebrations not set up and posed. I also like the meat pole pics and all other ones that document the reality of the hunt . I wish we could post up some of the more controversial ones here like exit wounds and and meat damage as with these pics and back ground write up like caliber and grain it could be educational.

Lots of good info on this topic, so I merged the threads
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I want to get better at taking the " after " pics but my main problem is I forget the camera or I'm by myself and want to get the job done because it's now dark and there is a bear and cougar behind every bush. I also like the "real" pics but a few nice ones I could frame would be nice
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Here is my best pic, as you can tell i was pretty happy. tried to clean him up a bit.. and it turned out to be a great pic framed next to the euro mount i did... The shot i used for my avatar is a cool shot as well.. looking through the rack. I always go overkill on the photos after, you can always delete the bad ones. I probably took 25 pics with this one with only about 4 good ones. So my advice is take lots!!!!

Last edited by dog812; 07-07-2013 at 04:19 PM.

That is a great framed photo dog812, i like how you have the tag as part of it as well. Really nicely done.