Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cursed Dekes

Re: Cursed Dekes

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    timbits? i'll give you a $100 tomorrow for them! its not the decoys!

It sounds like number 2. Hunting with trees behind you (especially bigger ones) is a nono in my books. They dont like circling over them and its a good place for predators to hide which is why you rarely see them anywhere near treelines; To me treelines are for pass shooters. not goose hunters :P. i know there are guys here that shoot them from treelines successfully but i have had not much luck. Maybe they will chime in and give you a hand. Unless the birds are flying from the side you are set up on towards you from the roost and the wind is blowing from behind the trees which means they fly straight in, (no circling) i guess it could work. But if they have to swing over the trees and try to land the odds of them landing within shooting range is pretty slim. Did you actually see them in flight land next to the trees the day before? or did you drive by and see them already on the ground next to the trees? They could have walked over after landing further out. I have to ask... if you have layouts why would you set up on a treeline?
    that is exactly what they are doing coming from the right to left along the spread, when i watched them come in they never circled, today they just flew over from right to left and landed without circling in the far end with less than a glance downward,

we'll see what happens tomorrow, I got an old guy coming out with me that has "everything needs to be perfect (rub mud on barrel to reduce shine)" OCD if there is something wrong he will find it

If he tells you to point all the decoys in the same direction, run away screaming!!
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    If he tells you to point all the decoys in the same direction, run away screaming!!
    HAHAHAHAHAH!

truer words have never been spoken.

Needed that!

Gonna lay teh smack down on some white cheeks and lards tomorrow i think. 2 bonus snows in the mix so we'll see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post

HAHAHAHAHAH!

truer words have never been spoken.

No word of a lie Lorne, Me and Adam got invited on a hunt and the first thing out of the guys mouth that was setting up decoys was "All the decoys have to be facing the same way". Adam looks over at me and gives me the oh this will be great look.

Quote Originally Posted by mattchu_19 View Post
    No word of a lie Lorne, Me and Adam got invited on a hunt and the first thing out of the guys mouth that was setting up decoys was "All the decoys have to be facing the same way". Adam looks over at me and gives me the oh this will be great look.
    Come on Lads that 1 direction thing DOES work but only if you have a decoy of a Border Collie herding them.Its a VERY old goose hunters trick only known to VERY old goose hunters lol. Hope everyne had a good day 2 it will have to be day 3 for me.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

Well this morning the curse was ended, the old OCD guy came out and we set up in the same place with the same blind that was left there from last hunt and he refused to hunt with the shells when the dakotas were available.

Around 8:15 the first single came in low but didnt commit and even though we normally give them a free pass this one was not so lucky and thus the curse was ended(so I thought), everything was quiet for a while until 9 when a flock of 6 came in with wings set and just when I was about to call the shot I saw the farmer hauling firewood on the other side of the field directly in line with the kill hole, The timing could not have been anyworse and they walked away unscathed,

the next half hour was that of complete carnage as 7 more fell victom to flying steel and we walked away with 4 a piece

sorry guys these are not leaving the flock as the breaking in period is over

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks&Ducks View Post
    Well this morning the curse was ended, the old OCD guy came out and we set up in the same place with the same blind that was left there from last hunt and he refused to hunt with the shells when the dakotas were available.

Around 8:15 the first single came in low but didnt commit and even though we normally give them a free pass this one was not so lucky and thus the curse was ended(so I thought), everything was quiet for a while until 9 when a flock of 6 came in with wings set and just when I was about to call the shot I saw the farmer hauling firewood on the other side of the field directly in line with the kill hole, The timing could not have been anyworse and they walked away unscathed,

the next half hour was that of complete carnage as 7 more fell victom to flying steel and we walked away with 4 a piece

sorry guys these are not leaving the flock as the breaking in period is over
    OH NO!!!! A NEW CURSE HAS ARISEN........The infamous "CURSE OF 4" that I experienced in the early season.

Please keep it with you I've had enough of it for this year lol!

But better the curse of 4 than cursed deeks I do suppose, LMFatAO
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    OH NO!!!! A NEW CURSE HAS ARISEN........The infamous "CURSE OF 4" that I experienced in the early season.

Please keep it with you I've had enough of it for this year lol!

But better the curse of 4 than cursed deeks I do suppose, LMFatAO
    Fortunatly not, I went out agian for the evening flight with another guy and got my last bird and he got 3 as well, the curse has deffinatly lifted

Hey Mr. Bucks&Ducks, I think we were hunting near you today this morning?? If you heard lots of shooting in your general area, we were the closet shots to your {W}{SW} on a piece of private land. There were literally thousands of geese flying out on the chuck this morning, and at one point it was a serious war zone!! Right around 9 am it was raining cheeks pretty good all around the bay! Slow moving with the calm weather after that though, just some mallards and teal here and there.

We did good on geese on Saturday though out on a nice corn/grass field!! Our GHG FFD's worked juuuust fine Depending on how tired my dad and I are, we might head out for more honkers in the a.m....

longshot jr.

good luck if you have at em tomorrow, I never saw a single duck all day except this evening after shooting time, I never heard a single all morning, were you near cow bay or near North of chemanius estuary where I was?