Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elk Elk And More Elk

Elk Elk And More Elk

Went out elk hunting this afternoon found a nice mountain side with lots of wallows and rubs. Nestled in on a hill side and started using the hoochie mamma, well not five minutes we had a nice 5x5 comeing at us as fast as he could. well the wind changed and he caught are scent and off he went. So to benefit from the strong wind headed to the other hill side to crest the top and to are amazment had to have been 90 to a 100 elk. Big bulls little bulls cows and calfs. Started calling again and the cows were running towards us just to be interveined by some nice bulls. Off to are left we watched an interesting battle between two 6x6's but we couldn't afford to move and jeprodize are seclusion. We'll be back there tomorrow and hopefully the wind gods will be on are side not the elks. Will keep you all up to date on southern Albertas elk hunt. Good luck to all and keep'em straight.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Elk Elk And More Elk

haha, were you up there elk hunting, and if you were why didn't you take a shot at a nice 6X6 or where you scouting?
    ________
    Vapir no2 vaporizer
    Last edited by DropTines; 03-04-2011 at 03:16 PM.

nevermind, misread, if you were elk huntin why didn't ya bring one down?
    ________
    Dc Marijuana Dispensary
    Last edited by DropTines; 03-04-2011 at 03:17 PM.

It would seem the implication was they were too far away and too many elk eyes to spot their movement had they tried to get closer. Do they have a 6-point restriction in Alberta also?

No there is no six point restriction. Bow only. You can take any elk. Will be heading back there early this afternoon hopefully to be in a better spot to put one down. It's a new area to us and didn't get much time to scout. With 3 of us heading out tonight one of us should hopefully be in a spot to to put one down and if not tonight surely before the end of the season. We'll just keep watching the video we recorded and try to pattern them.

Get one of those buggers I'll be expecting some of that meat if I come out there bud!
    Remember to take the ivories this time if you do
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktail
    Remember to take the ivories this time if you do
    What are the ivories?
    Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Sorry Ozone you are correct

Ozone,
    The ivories are like tusks on an elephant. Way back when elk used to have tusks if I understood properly when I was told. They don't grow out like tusks anymore but there is still ivory in the top jaw where tusks would grow. Nice little pieces to grab if you get the chance. My dad blacktail knows more than I do about this. Other members may be able to post more in regards to the ivories. Hope this helps and others pass on some more info.

Depending on what zone you are in there are still antler restrictions in Alberta on bulls, either 3 or 6 point. Or you can usually take a cow instead.

Very interesting, when you say upper jaw, are they in place of teeth or somewere else on the jaw?
    Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Sorry Ozone you are correct