Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 ammunition

Re: .22 ammunition

i carry a youth model .22 in my backpack when i am deer hunting, if i see a grouse or rabbit when i am hunting i pull that out and load a cci cb subsonic short into it. it is absolutely quiet, no louder than somebody snapping their fingers. does the job just fine.

Last edited by fowlweather; 10-02-2011 at 09:16 PM.

Thanks guys, I came home with a bit of a party pack, going to print and label by ammo some target sheets for the weekend, but where is the 'how to best sight in your first 22' page? I can see a lot of math coming at me...and I don't have instructions for the peep sight. Dang I forgot to pick up a cleaning kit...

Yupp, keep it clean. Use a special size chamber brush for the powder residue
    and forget the shorts. Nothing accurate about a chunk of lead that has to jump in the chamber and smear against the lands. Lots of times lead will spew from the vent hole
    CB longs are the same noise as CB shorts but shoot better imo
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

for open sighting ur rifle: for me it was practise, practise, practise. I had to fiddle with the sight ramp a little, but once I found 0 & built my confidence with it (just this summer) it was easier to find out what ammo it liked best. I printed & photocopied like a million "free" targets from the web. Plinked @ it until it looked like buckshot, at 50m (about 50 paces for me). My winchester likes the winchester wally world ammo best, the big 555 box for $18. Wife & I are now hitting bullseye repeatedly w/ the little single shot. It likes the stingers for pests too thoug.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Yupp, keep it clean. Use a special size chamber brush for the powder residue
    and forget the shorts. Nothing accurate about a chunk of lead that has to jump in the chamber and smear against the lands. Lots of times lead will spew from the vent hole
    CB longs are the same noise as CB shorts but shoot better imo
    ^^^^This is my exact finding as well, if you are inclined to shoot the CB's, go with the longs over the shorts. Same noise(or lack thereof), same velocity but without the excessive jump to the lands. Also I've found the CCI CB's to be much better than the Remington CeeBees which are, in my opinion, total crap.

All that said, the beauty of the .22 is how cheap they are to shoot, so try a bunch of different brands/types and enjoy the extra time behind the trigger while you figure out what your particular rifle likes best.

I like the hard to find Remington Viper. The are the Yellow Jacket with a solid bullet and not the hollow point.

Hey, so, I figured out the peep sight thing and I think I got it close to where it sounds like it should be @~25 yds. I only had time to use one kind of ammo so far, between time of day and walking back and forth to swap the target out and measure and count clicks and BREATHE etc.

BUT now I have a new query, the cleaning kit I got, it says in step one: 'assemble rod, handle, and bore brush...'

Well over here is a picture of the same kit - WHICH part of this resembles a 'brush'??? There's nothing in there that looks anything like what I know to be called a 'brush'. There's plastic loops and wee plastic tips and a metal screw fitting thing. I don't know why the picture is so small, but if you click on it it gets bigger. Am I looking for a BRUSH?? Like a pipe cleaner???
    http://www.outers-guncare.com/produc...m_rodkits.aspx
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	96200_UniversalClamKit_display.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	3714

Includes:

• Lightweight cleaning rod
    • .22/270-cal slotted batch loop
    • .22/243-cal spear pointed jag
    • 30-cal slotted patch loop
    • 30-cal spear pointed jag
    • All gauge slotted patch loop

• Rod adaptor
    • Micro-fiber absorbent patches
    • Nitro Solvent Gun Cleaner 2-ounce bottle
    • Gun Oil 2-ounce bottle

Brazen, I don't see a bore brush in the list or picture. Go to your local gun shop or Canadian tire and a .22 bronze bore brush should set you back about $3-5. I bought the exact same kit for my guns - when you break the two part cleaning rod (and you will) get a solid rod. The threads on the attachments are pretty standard so the jags etc should still work fine with the new rod. Happy shooting - I learned on a Cooey model 60 and miss it.

pfffft buy a cleaning kit, then go buy the brush that's supposed to come with it oy vey! Ok!! Thank you Morel!! I had fun today!! No critters in sight thankfully except the squirrel going on about me being there, but, when I got finished up, 4 crows came over and circled, hoping I'd maybe hit SOMETHING worthwhile lol!

Your kit should have all you need. A brush can help with the really heavy stuff but shouldn't be needed. Patches should do it. Run them til they come clean.
    The loop is for pulling patches, the jag is for pushing.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole