Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .22 ammunition

Re: .22 ammunition

Get yourself a 22cal bore snake. They're about $25. You just slide it through with a bit of oil a couple times and your good to go. With the bore snake its easy to always pull it through in the same direction which should be away from the chamber. With a rod you have to push it through, screw on the brush then pull it out in order to avoid pushing crud into your chamber.
    But then what do I know? I'm just a lowly woodcutter.

Oh, ok. Think my bore is pretty clean, so I'll go at it with patches in the morning. And I guess I should shop somewhere other than Cdn. Tire.

I actually had one more ammuntion question - all I read about .22's is that they drop off after 100 yds, but the packaging and the Firearms course says something like 'can go a mile'. So, is that true??
    Last edited by brazen; 10-23-2011 at 09:03 PM.

@ 100 yards I was still putting my hollow points through 2x4's, same as when the boards were @ 25 yards. I've seen guys reach out & hit their mark @ 200 yards with their scoped 22's. May not be enough force to b/f anything worth hunting, but considering how fragile the human body is, in comparison to anything we hunt, I'd believe that round is still capable of being lethal at a mile. Would make a million dollar shot to hit something at that range, let alone effectively, but my police & paramedic friends have seen the results of accidental long shot wounds.

gees I never thought to look around the back side of that post. I will go back there.

I actually have 2 hp slugs from that 2x4 sitting on my mantle. It is in another thread on here, but I had the 2x4 resting against a beam of a pallet at 100m, where I found the slugs tightly sandwiched, I had to carve them out. They hadn't even mushroomed. I brought them home, to show what a shot round looked like after it came out of the barrel. Pretty good for some of the cheapest ammo available on the island.