Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 ammunition

.22 ammunition

So, I will be finally picking up a cooey .22, and, I've been reading the Wikipedia about short, long, long rifle, cb, hollow point, hypervelocity, subsonic, f/s, etc. etc. and I'm getting overloaded with information to sort out - WHAT KIND of ammunition do I want?

I want to sight in and target practice and just learn to use it well, then maybe try my hand on a grouse or a hare at relatively close range if I get such an opportunity.

Is there a short version of rimfire selection reference somewhere??

2. Site Sponsor

Re: .22 ammunition

CCI makes great rimfire ammo. I personally like the stingers

for all around plinking, shooting ditch chickens or rabbits, the blue box 22LR solids will work just fine!

I must of killed about a million gophers with CIL-Imperial 22LR-solids growing as a kid on the prairie in Saskatchewan,,using a $15.00 Cooey bolt action single shot!
    sit quietly by the river,,,,,,

eventually the bodies of your enemies will come floating by,,,,

Just grab 3 boxes of different ammo and see what your gun and you like. I stay away from the hollow points cause they don't feed properly in my savage 64. I like blazer ammo, and comes in a box of 500.
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr

its a Cooey! you dont have any feeding problem unless your thumb is DE-FORMED ! lol
    sit quietly by the river,,,,,,

eventually the bodies of your enemies will come floating by,,,,

I buy as many brands of ammo I can find from cheap to expensive. When I find a brand my rifle likes then I'll go get a brick or 10.

I buy as many brands of ammo I can find from cheap to expensive. When I find a brand my rifle likes then I'll go get a brick or 10.
    X 2 ....find what works the best in your gun (and there will be one/two brands that will shine) and stock up. One of my .22 will shoot groups on top of each other or spread out to over 2 inches depending on whoes bullet it is.
    l have found solid points tend to be less finicky then the most hollow points and the more expensive high velocity offerings.
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

I'm not a fan of stingers , they're not accuarate in my gun . I like remington thunderbolts {you can hear them hit the ground at a hundred yards } , but for really acccurate shooting I've turned to subsonics .
    the only thing you really need to know is that your gun is a .22lr , thats pretty much all . Hollow points are better for hunting as they can expand a bit , solids should penetrae a little better and I have found to be more accurate at long range .
    Beyond that the different descriptions fit different uses . Stingers and real high velocity for animals bigger than rabbit at close range , Subsonics and shorts if you don't want to make to much noise , and also if high velocity prints bad groups for you .
    Figure out what youre going to do the most with you gun . If its a can killer , buy whatevers cheap and have fun . If your hunting grouse or rabbits the bullet weight doesn't have to be really big , and the velocity doesn't have to be high , but you need accurate shots {grouse head }.
    Get some sand bags and a few of those little 50rd bricks and go experiment at the range .
    I kill things and eat them.

Make sure the ammo stamp matches the barrel stamp, first and foremost. I'm talking short,long, long rifle. Chances are your Cooey is LR, maybe all three. SO. Check the barrel stamp.

AFTER you've picked the right cartridge THEN you can worry about hollow point, hi-velocity, or all the other unnecessary marketingspeak that can go in to ammunition. You're likely best off buying a bulk box of anything your local Walmart or Canadian Tire has to offer (500 rds for $20 or so) and practicing at the range/gravel pit with that. .22 ammo is all quite cheap, so after you've figured out the basics of marksmanship you can spend more if you want to investigate whether it's you, the rifle, your sites/optics, or the ammo that is giving you big groupings. (HINT: it's probably not the ammo!)

Everything Van Isle said x 2

In short. Don't sweat it. Practice. Practice. Practice. A cooey is a fantastic rifle. Get good out to 50m with any ammo and go from there.