Thread: Vancouver Island grouse

Vancouver Island grouse

It's going to be my first year hunting. I am interested in hunting for grouse on Vancouver Island, possibly near Nanaimo area, anyone know of any particular spots ? Thanx alot

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Vancouver Island grouse

Grouse have bin harder and harder to find for the last couple of years. I find them on over growen side roads and around clear cuts that have had 5 to 10 years to regrow. Large flat clear cuts I find hold more birds then clear cuts on steep hillsides. But they will be found anywhere, also remember they like roadside gravel for their crop.
    Good luck.

Thanks bigshooter I might be heading out this weekend to see if I can spot any. Although it would probably be better to wait a little while till the leave are on the ground so its easier to spot them.

i lived in naimo 22 years....always keen to find some grouse...and first years it was possible nan.lakes and river area...but last 10-15 years sad story ...only very few grouse left around that area. same thing with deer...lots of deer inside city limit go outside .... empty ..... maybe farmers field...but not in big forest...but go bear hunting,,lots of blackies

i'm happy living thomson area now..everything so close.....hunting...no ferries..yahoo

Quote Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
    Grouse have bin harder and harder to find for the last couple of years. I find them on over growen side roads and around clear cuts that have had 5 to 10 years to regrow. Large flat clear cuts I find hold more birds then clear cuts on steep hillsides. But they will be found anywhere, also remember they like roadside gravel for their crop.
    Good luck.
    I work in the bush and have not been seeing many but there are a few out there. When I do see them it is on roads like bigshooter explained.

Finally bagged my first VI blue grouse. Too bad I was deer hunting though
    “Until lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter”

Hi! I've just moved to Victoria. I own a 6 years old weimaraner. Would be happy to join someone on a grouse hunt or maybe any advice on the areas I could research.

anyone get out the first couple days? planning on going out tomorrow with the old man.