Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: .308 vs bears

Re: .308 vs bears

awesome thanks everyone you have put my confidence back into the gun I'm looking at soon I should have my pal and will have the gun in my posession. here's a review on the rifle I'm looking at: http://www.snipercentral.com/vtr.htm. I've done a fair bit of research and this gun is a really sweet weapon. It's pretty much perfect for me but was just worried about the calibre. Thanks for helping me solve this. Happy hunting!

.308 and .30-06 and .300 all use the same .308 calibre bullet just with different brass. Reason? Very popular and very versatile and wide range of bullet types and weights. More than capable of taking any big game found in North America I would say.

Shot 3 elk with one... All one shot kills... And many many deer.... performs flawless for me... Bullet selection is awesome! can't beat .30 calibre's... IMHO And you can shoot it many times at the range without bruising your shoulder! My kids all shoot .308's

I bought a remington 700 in 300win mag and then a second for my brother in 308 win....

i find the winmag a bit abusive and like the 308 more. easier handling (2"shorter barrel) lighter, shorter action, lighter recoil
    308 is my go to rifle.. shot a moose through and through last weeekend, it dropped in its tracks
    half the people in this world are below average intelligence

308 is perfectly suitable, and damn near ideal for 90% of hunting situations in BC
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Ya See? What have I been tellin' ya for the last few years? Gotta love the .308 (of course) I use 180 grains super X. Bears WILL die from this. Don't hesitate.
    Limited Entry Loser

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    Your friend does not have enough knowledge to help you if that is his thoughts on bears. Listen to the other posts.
    My thoughts exactly.

Everybody knows you need a 300 win mag to kill Island deer and at least a 338 win mag to kill bears GAWD common knowledge people

No seriously if you do you part a .308 is plenty of rifle for pretty much all game in North America. Go with the 308 you'll be plenty happy with an ammo is readily avail almost everywhere, not to mention less exspensive then a 300 mag fag

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by 303Brit View Post
    not to mention less exspensive then a 300 mag fag
    while the 308 is an effective cartridge, it's probably more 'fag' than the 300 Winchester Magnum which is for burly heterosexual men
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    while the 308 is an effective cartridge, it's probably more 'fag' than the 300 Winchester Magnum which is for burly heterosexual men
    Burly Hetero's with small penis syndrome

But what do I know I shoot bears with a 1918 mk III
    Last edited by 303Brit; 09-27-2011 at 05:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.