Thread: Bringing a freind hunting.

Bringing a freind hunting.

hey all,
    im very new to hunting and just wanted to clarify some things. I have my PAL and hunting license.

Is it legal to bring a friend who doenst have their PAL, target shooting in the woods using my rifle?

and is it legal to bring a friend who doesnt have their PAL or hunt license with me hunting? What are the details on that? I have a deer ticket id like to fill and dont want to go out alone, but none of my freinds have their licenses yet.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bringing a freind hunting.

Your friend can shoot your guns in the woods (at pop cans) so long as your "directly supervising them" they can also accompany you on a hunt as a spectator with no issue. They CANNOT shoot any game without a license unless it's animals covered in the Schedule "C" in the hunting reg's. See page 14 in this years reg's.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Your friend can go target shooting with you if you are competent enough to direct them and are in direct supervision of them.

They can accompany you hunting but they cannot take the shot. My CORE instructor amplified this sentiment by saying that if you are hunting, or anywhere that it might seem like you are hunting, ONLY the person with the hunting license should even be holding the firearm. The non-hunter should not be carrying "the backup gun" or anything like that less it be misconstrued.

Your right, don't have them carry the second gun, but if your driving and see a few cotton tails, hand them the .22 or shotty and let them have a try.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

cool, thanks a lot for the info.

if they were carrying the backup gun, and was stopped by a CO who suspected them of hunting, would it be a poaching charge for them? or what, if any, consequences would that have on me?

I'm also curious. Just to clarify I have my PAL and my hunting licence and I have a friend who has their hunting licence but is still waiting on their PAL. Is it ok for them to shoot game with my gun, under my supervision so long as they have their own tags?

Quote Originally Posted by goldenhunt View Post
    I'm also curious. Just to clarify I have my PAL and my hunting licence and I have a friend who has their hunting licence but is still waiting on their PAL. Is it ok for them to shoot game with my gun, under my supervision so long as they have their own tags?
    yes it is legal for you to shoot. but for you to carry a firearm, no. (am I right)?

Legal for your friend to shoot but can't carry a gun of there own without a PAL.

Great thats what I needed to know.

Thanks

bandit is offline Passionate pointer parent

The key word seems to be "direct supervision" (of someone who has a PAL). I believe this means within direct eyesight and verbal contact - ie they have to be standing within a few metres of you at all times.