Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: .308 vs bears

Re: .308 vs bears

You will do fine with a 308. Learn the rifles kill envelope and the operating envelope of various bullets and you will do well. A 308 will take down anything in B.C. except for the great bears and with proper shot placement (which is the key, it will take them in a pinch, although I would not recommend it unless you had to)
    Now lets get down to the two choices for 308. There is the 7.62 (not the military version but close, military version has a thicker sidewall case) This round does not handle 200 gr bullets very well although it will shoot them. You have to seat the bullet deep in the case and the powder may be compressed.. The 7.62 action is shorter and the rifles tend to be a bit lighter, this solved logistics problems for the military in combat. More bullets could be shipped in small spaces and the combat solder could carry more rounds than the old 30/06 which is also 308 caliber. Both the 7.62 and the 30/06 have ballistics that are so close that it is not worth debate. Both are equaly accurate, the 7.62 only very slightly takes the edge and this would only be seen at the highest level of competition by pro shooters where fractions of an inch count on paper. The 30/06 has more loads available and to me is a more versital round than the 7.62 although the action is longer and tends to be slightly heaver. thats my story and i am sticken to it. hope this helps in you choice of your first rifle
    Last edited by eaglesnester; 09-30-2011 at 08:14 AM.

308 = dead black bear

cool that's a long distance for a bullet with hardly any powder behind it!!! I do plan on getting into shooting competitions though That was a very interesting link..

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    while the 308 is an effective cartridge, it's probably more 'fag' than the 300 Winchester Magnum which is for burly heterosexual men
    lol!

308 win and the 300 win mag are both excellent calibers. but i prefer the 30-06 it is my go to caliber, kills stuff dead just the same.
    *30-06 180g h4350*

308 would be able to kill a bear if it were a 309, but its just a little to small Once you get a 308 you'll get little man syndrome, next you'll be saying " o-yah my 308 can do that too" All kidding aside all the above posts are proof that its a good cal, you should have no trouble dropping a bear with a 150 grainer out of it.
    Barnes ttsx, the four pedals of death that lead to great a great BBQ.

Enthusiast, the gun you are looking at has a muzzle brake on it. think twice about that. the 308 doesn't kick very hard, esp with 150 grain bullets, and teh muzzle brake will cause noise issues for you and those around you.

I have two 308's and love them. Light recoil, accurate, and deadly. I've taken moose, elk, black bear, whitetails, muleys, and sheep with mine without a problem.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

The 308 is a fine caliber. It will take all game in north America save the great bears. By great bears I mean the 1000lb plus Alaskan Brown, you can't have too much gun when going up against one of those big boys. Ammo is available everywhere, so you can always get more if you forget to bring yours on that hunting trip.