Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .308 vs bears

.308 vs bears

hello I've been talking to a friend and he said get a .300 win or a 7mm to hunt with because the province is overrun with bears. I really want this .308 i'm looking at and i've heard it can take down a moose (with the right shot placement). I was talking to my dad last night and he said someone he knows who hunts takes down blackbears with a .308 all the time. So I'm a little torn now, the gun I"m looking at is a Rem 700 VTR which is a really nice accurate gun, light, short.. basically everything i"m looking for in a rifle, but it doesn't come in .300 or 7mm. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.. thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: .308 vs bears

If you like the rifle and if it fits and feels good when shouldered than get it. There is nothing wrong with a 308. I have hunted with 30-30, 270, 30-06, etc.... and my 30-30 is still my go to rifle when I go hunting whether it be for deer or bear.

Don't underestimate a 30 cal bullet.

Hope you enjoy your new rifle. You will also enjoy the cost of ammo compared to larger calibers.
    Cheers

yeah I had a chance to look at the rifle at the gun shop.. it does feel really nice when shouldered. I'm not a very strong guy so the light weight of the gun would make it easy for me to carry through the bush and to keep steady while aiming..

Lots of bears have fallen to a 308
    Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Sorry Ozone you are correct

My son shot his Black bear last year with a .243 and my .308 has killed several Moose (by me and when it was my Dad's gun). No reason you should have any concern with choosing a .308.

Your friend does not have enough knowledge to help you if that is his thoughts on bears. Listen to the other posts.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

The .308 is plenty enough medicine for black bears. Legendary grizzly guide Clayton Mack referred to it as a big gun in one of his books, and he used a 30-30 for years as his back up gun. I've read that more elephants have been poached in Africa with .308's than any other caliber. It's all about bullet placement and bullet construction and there are some terrific bullets available today.

world wide millions of bears, black ,brown and white have fallen to similarly powered cartridges to the .308Winchester and including the .308 Winchester, and the majority of those long before recent new tough projectiles/bullets,

and for "novice shooters" such as yourself, a common caliber(.308 Win) is a VERY good choice as it more than adequate for all north American Big game( maybe not best for Kodiak Bears) , CHEAP/Commonly Available Ammo and LOTS of practice and familiarity with your rifle is WAYYY more important than a BAD CASE of MAGNUM-ITIS !
    sit quietly by the river,,,,,,

eventually the bodies of your enemies will come floating by,,,,

the .308 is a great cal for b.c hunting, i started hunted with a 30-06, but now my go to gun is my .243,( except when i'm after moose,) but if one step in front of my when i'm carrying the 243 i would make the shot with it,

considering still to this day!, the .308 Winchester and the 30-06 Springfield out-sell all other calibers in North America ,,,,

for the average big game hunter plenty of PUNCH !
    sit quietly by the river,,,,,,

eventually the bodies of your enemies will come floating by,,,,