Thread: Backup release

Backup release

I was thinking that someday my release may break at the worst time, in a shoot. I am using a Tru-ball short and sweet and I suppose I could get another the same, but I would like to try one of the metal type that you hold in 3 or 4 fingers. The Tru-ball is my first release aid other than a tab and I have never shot the other type.
    I have watched people use this type, mostly on U-Tube and I like the look of using your thumb. So who makes a really nice one and what kind of money am I looking at? Are they easy to get onto? I know I am a pest but am almost totally outfitted now. Many thanks Roscoe

2. Site Sponsor

Bow Walker Guest

Re: Backup release

You're flirting with 'back tension' when you go to a release like those kind. Not a bad thing, but definitely not for everyone.

If you do go that route, get one with a rotating head so that it won't impart any torque to the string.

There are several makes of that type of release, most notably there is Carter, and Stanislawski. Fletcher makes one called the "Jimi T". Spot Hogg makes them as well. Those are a few of the quality makers - other members should be able to add to the list.

Carter Target 4 (or Target3) or Chocolate Lines .... the Whispers are nice releases .... the new Plain and Simple are great releases too .....

All those are great for a hunting release because you can close them on your loop and hang them there for when the time comes you are not fumbling to hook your release ....

While I have toyed with various others of makes ... I am not as familiar with other brands as I am with Carters
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Bow Walker Guest

Another thought...

...if you plan on having a totally different release as a backup - make sure that you practice with it on a regular basis so that if your main release packs it in you don't have to start out using a strange and different release just to continue on the 3D round or to finish your hunt.

If your used to the short 'n sweet. Buy another and keep it in your pack.

Bow Walker Guest

I, personally, am smitten with Jim Fletcher releases. I've had several different ones over the years. My current one of choice is the Fletch Hook. It works so well for me that I bought another one just for backup. That way, there is no "learning curve" to overcome and I can continue shooting as if nothing has happened.

358win has good advice for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 358win View Post
    If your used to the short 'n sweet. Buy another and keep it in your pack.
    Well that would be the common sense thing to do but since when have I listened to common sense? No, this time I will consider that argument. Thanks for the input!
    "common sense" Humbug!

I used the Short N Sweet for years and recently retired it to back-up position. My main relaese, now, is a Scott Silverhorn. Same open jaw and trigger forward design, so I can go from one to the other with no issues.
    I'll be buying the new model Scott Silverhorn soon, only because it has an added feature I like.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.