Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bicycle Hunting Experiences?

Re: Bicycle Hunting Experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    You are cruel aren't you! LOL My kind of guy! No pics but to help you imagine better... picture Harbour View Road, coming down that nasty washed out hill with the old truck in the hole! Pouring rain, torn camo, mud everywhere, and an antler sticking in my thigh!
    Awesome. Legendary. That is a spot where I am thinking about bicycle hunting. It's all really easy improved unpaved road now (thanks for the "conservation," TLC ) so a mtb is quite viable to shorten the trip to the huntable provincial park 5.5km in. I think I'd use a trailer to get game down the hill, though!

thanks for the inspiration btsuga !

i have old mountain bike kicking around that will make an excellent hunting bike [particularly for grouse]. ha ... may have to give a coat karki green paint .... lol'z
    *30-06 180g h4350*

Ha ha good stories! I went out this year with a couple friend who had a moose draw in 8-5. The spot was a campsite in a "no-motorized vehicles when used for hunting" area. I didn't even know they got that specific! I fabbed up an aluminun trailer with a 2 by 5 deck for my bike, as the plan was to ride in and set up camp for 5 days or so. Never been to the area, but Darren said "its pretty mellow the whole way in from the drop point" I was me, him, and his dad. When we got there, it was a different story. 5" of snow, and it's ALL UP HILL. I packed anticipating an easy ride. And they packed making me look like I was skimping on all the neccesities. I'm in pretty good shape, and it was a ton of work. 1km in, and the old man was nearly having a heart attack. It was decided that we just stay at a site nearby that we could drive to. Good call. Rode up the next morning (took 2 hours WITHOUT all the gear!) and then walked a big loop. All the animals had moved down already. Darren ended up with a grouse with a rock atleast. shoulda brought the .410 rather than the 7mm for the trip. Came out empty handed, but it was a great time, and new experience.

Just a word of advice: Don't use a 6" travel freeride bike! I've got a pic, but not sure how to post it (too big)

I tried once. I found it was much quieter to drive my truck than me wheezing and gasping for air on my bike.
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr