Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Trailcam when on a budget

Best Trailcam when on a budget

Just wondering who's had good/bad experiences when purchasing a lower end trailcam? Any brands I should be targeting/avoiding? Sorry in advance if this topic has been beat to death. If it has could someone point me in the direction of older threads?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Best Trailcam when on a budget

I bought a Tasco 5MP trail cam as it was the cheapest infrared one I could find (around $100). It is small, takes good quality pictures and is not hard on batteries at all (4 AA last several months).

The only major drawback is that the range is horrible (at least on mine). When I first got it I had it set up on heavily used game trails, yet wouldnt get any pics. I tested it a bit and found you had to be within about 12-15 feet to trigger it. I went online and found some forums of others complaining about the same issue.

I still get pictures of animals, but I have to place the cam right on the edge of the trail. Since it is so close, nearly every animal notices it.
    Last edited by ARC; 09-19-2011 at 08:03 PM.

I really like the low priced Tasco 5 meg mini cameras. Have nice photos of grizzlies and wolves last spring plus deer, and human visitors to our yard for the cameras set up here. 4AA batteries last for months. One of nine cameras went back to Ontario and was replaced by Tasco as it's shutter went crazy and took thousands of photos in a couple of days.

Cabelas US had them for $69 last spring, but they are more $ at Wholesale Sports. Wish I had purchased more than 8 cameras at that price. The shutter is quiet as one camera took about eight photos of the same wolf, some at a foot or two. The night performance of the infra-red flash in B&W is fine too for looking at the deer around the apple tree.

ive got a few of them tasco 5mp-short range, and often have fuzzy pix of the animals walking by-my trophy does not have this on same tree.. the nite pix are crappy- compared to bushnell trophy as well- but for $120 its very small, AA batteries are great and dont care as much when someone seals em or bear eats em... -they work- good luck!

Tasco is a good value

that being said I will not buy another. Many pics are quite blurry, but you can usually make out what it is. I just prefer a bit better pic quality, and my favorite cam used thus far is the Bushnell Trophy 8.0mp
    Last edited by todbartell; 09-19-2011 at 08:19 PM.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

My buddy bought a couple on eBay for around $40 each which is almost a throw away and they worked amazingly well. I have a pretty pricey UWay that I like but given the ones my buddy got, I think I will pick up a few of them in future. I think they were called Wildgame Innovations or something of the sort.
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

I picked up a moultrie 5mp from Cantire on sale for $89.00, it did not function properly. Partial picts and whited infrared. Plus could not seem to download the upgrade. Returned it. Picked up a a red6 from wildgame innovations from walmart down south also did not function as it should. Emailed and called their tech services. They told me it sounded like a lens was not working properly, take batteries and sd card out let stand for 5 minutes then reload and try again. Said if this did not work call 1 800 number and get a RMA #. Didn't work called number no one answers phone, no one returned message. Will return it as well. I guess I need to save up for a better quality camera. Looked a uway but they are pricey and by the time you add the metal box and freight I'm not sure they are worth it. I know they are a sponsor here but I don't see any local distributors listed. Will continue to watch this thread and check other reviews before I buy another camera.

ive got moultires too... and i love them!... never had any kind of prob!!! we even use them on our jobsite

I just ordered a Bushnell Elite 6500 from Cabela's Canada and it comes with a Tasco IR Digital Game Camera, 2mp B&W night pictures and 5mp colour day pictures plus short videos. It's a $119 value for free, pretty cool. I hope to have it by the end of next week.

The Bushnell 8.0 MP Bone Collector Trophy Cam w/ Viewer is on sale for $219.99.

I want to bump this thread up. I am so confused by all the products out there.
    i want to buy a camera for less than $150.00.
    If you have one. Tell me your experience. It will help me to chose a working camera.