Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Trophy blacktail hunting 2011

Re: Trophy blacktail hunting 2011

Mikey
    He was a very nice Chwk BT.

"For the man who can, not once by accident, but again and again, as a regular thing, single-handed, find and kill his black-tail, has shown that he is no mere novice in his art; still-hunting the black-tail is a sport that only the skilful can follow with good results." Theodore Roosevelt (1858–1919). Hunting Trips of a Ranchman. 1885.

Has any one else caught a black tail on a trail cam ,Ive caught two rear legs so far after 8 months of set ups.Im going hard for bt this year seen nothin but does so far though saw one ass end bouncing away at a distance might have been a buck.Nothing like treking through the jungle looking for that bt standin right beside you.Ive seen the most black tail were there is sollel on the ground

Try setting the cam up looking up or down the trail instead of across it.
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it

Quote Originally Posted by new hunter View Post
    I'll be going out tomorrow as well P.G. , good luck , but don't shoot my deer .
    I was thinking this shit weather might be agood thing , I'm thinking of trying some of the areas closer to whistler as theyre abit higher up . Saw a doe next to the highway by shadow lake .
    Well good luck everyone .
    Better give us a 'detailed' description of 'your deer' so 'we' dont kill it!!

Hey 'Lap' , that sure is a cool little treasure ! Ive never found something like that.At least by the age of that buck he was sure to pass on genes through lots of does over the years!

Quote Originally Posted by rides bike to work View Post
    Has any one else caught a black tail on a trail cam ,Ive caught two rear legs so far after 8 months of set ups.Im going hard for bt this year seen nothin but does so far though saw one ass end bouncing away at a distance might have been a buck.Nothing like treking through the jungle looking for that bt standin right beside you.Ive seen the most black tail were there is sollel on the ground
    This is what you get with 'head on' angles on the trail...

both the buggers are still alive to..

heres another head on cam view

Description of my deer , he's brown , fury and big , lives between whistler and pemby and looks delicious . You'll be sure to recognise him .
    Have any luck out there today ? I saw some promising looking tracks and thats about all myself . Still a beautiful day to get out , I have no regrets .
    Weird question , but has anyone ever caught a wiff of deer piss on the trail ? I bought some doe estrus last year , and I swear to god I think I caught a wiff of it twice today while I was following some nice , fresh looking tracks {21/2 inch aprox , about a 2 foot distance between or gait }.
    I know the obvious answer is that I got the stuff on my gear , but my gears all new and I haven't had it since last year .
    So is it likely a doe , or just my youthfull exuberance ?
    Last edited by new hunter; 09-28-2011 at 08:14 PM.
    I kill things and eat them.

Well today was a tough one, 15 kms yielded 3 does & 4 fawns! No bone worth thinking about yet this year, but at least I found the four legged buck lures!LOL
    Life's like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today, might burn your arse tomorrow

Well , I'm getting better at my video making skills. Here's another one to get the encouragement goin !

http://youtu.be/bWb0i7p7MXc

Quote Originally Posted by rides bike to work View Post
    Try to put the cam on a trail that naturally funnels the deer past the sensor of your camera. Also, make sure that the cam isn't too high or low. Like others have said, point the camera along the trail, not across it. Also, make sure you remove leaves or branches from around the sensor, otherwise you could end up with hundreds of picks of the same leaf/twig because the wind swept leaf set the sensor off.

Great vid, thanks pg66

BH