Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Trophy blacktail hunting 2011

Re: Trophy blacktail hunting 2011

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    Hey PG, looking very forward to this thread this year. Love the vids you get. That article is very interesting and very discouraging at the same time. The study from Oregon does not really seem to be accurate as far as the vids you have taken over the years. You seem to have lots of daytime footage of BT running all over the place in your library. Could those BT down south see so much hunting pressure that they go nocturnal like WT in heavy pressure areas? The areas you get into may only see a few people a year in the fall and early winter. People hiking all over the place in the summer but not during deer season I wouldn't think. Taking that study into consideration do you think it would a good idea to move fairly quickly through the bush where you know the deer are? Try to jump them from their beds or just to get them moving. The slow stalk seems to work pretty good for you.
    I'd say the Oregon study is bang on. Anyone following last falls thread will read the literally hundreds of walking hrs I did..now put those hrs against the footage I pulled. The bucks I eventually get lucky and shoot are rarely seen twice let alone once.
    I as well rarely jump large bucks in their beds. My largest to date was 'possibly' laying down when he heard me rattling and calling and stood there waitting to see what I was..bang flop at 30 yrds but I never saw him laying down although I knew the timbered hill I was on was a bedding knob.
    One largy I nailed a few yrs ago I could see his bed with a few doe beds.Could even see his hair pattern in the snow , but never saw him laying down and he was in there all the time.
    I have also been after a BIG buck for 4 yrs now and he made it past his prime.The hrs against that deer are embarassingly high.I never and still have never seen him with my naked eye. Never seen his bed but have seen his tracks in the SAME places each fall.I am so familiar with his habits I know where to jump ahead of him and pick up his track...never been soo frustrated. Last fall after tagging out he finally showed. I told Gate I would have a clear pic of him by morning...bingo...baseball bat bases 4X4 going backwards and HUGE...still , he wont let me near him and I'll bet he has never seen a human hunter but me...aaarrrgghhh....
    My #1 word of advice to all curious : DONT STOP GOING....its simple math in the end , you WILL eventually have a run in with a monster....as long as you dont shoot a dink or even a large one...might take a year or 5..( lol) but it WILL happen.
    I have put in sooo many damned hrs in my spots now it has resulted in a 'run in' occuring more often than 5 yrs earlier....cant wait to see what happens this fall!!

My plan is to get into my spot the afternoon before to see what has been moving around. From there I'll pick a spot to get into well before daylight and sit until an hour or after then I'll put some clicks on my feet.

Quote Originally Posted by proguide66 View Post
    (clip from an article.).have hunted Columbia blacktail hard since I was a kid. No deer I have hunted do a better imitation of Count Dracula than these guys. Their preference for nighttime movement was underscored by an Oregon Department of Fish and Game research project that used cameras keyed by an electronic beam/receiver set-up that took pictures of the deer as they moved through their natural habitat. The cameras were set up on several well-known trails. According to this study, only 17% of all bucks moved during legal shooting hours - meaning that 83% of all the bucks in the study area did not move when it was legal to shoot. In fact, prime buck movements occurred between 10:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m., with more than 40% of the bucks photographed during the after-dark period being mature 4-point-or-better bucks. Interestingly, during this survey the does and fawns displayed a more balanced travel tendency, with 44% of them being photographed during daylight hours.
    I swear the deer around Sooke/Renfrew are like this. So many times I've cut huge tracks in snow that weren't there the day before, even when I've waited to come out until past shooting light!! Seems the huge bucks I see are always in the off season when I'm hiking, I bust them in their beds and they bounce off into the wilderness. Then when the season comes, they're gone!!

Damned blacktails!!

If you know where a BIG one is, try to find the girls. They usually have their own little haunts and if you dont scare the crap out of them they are fairly easy to find again.
    Once I am familiar with a few doe's and their hangouts , I start dong 'subtle' check ups when the rut is close to perculating and pic up speed once the rut is really goin.
    Those big *******s already know all those girls by name and do the same...usually at night but once he finds a 'hitty' he sticks to her. But if you blow it , he'll dump her like a bad habit and hit the road in a heartbeat! Sure makes you shake lots when you FINALLY get one of em!

I was also thinking , wonder how many 'genetically superior' doe's have the same habits of a true superior buck? Guess we will never know. I'll bet theres some does out there carrying
    the supreme genes needed to build a monster buck and they as well live quite secretly!

I was able to call in a young buck today and get my meat buck for the year, leaving one tag to hold out for a biggun.

Basically, got into a new area and parked the quad to do some investigation on foot. I walked for about an hour and found some nice spots. The last spot I detected some thrashing noises. Didn't sound like a bear (to me anyway) so I sat down in a concealed location to see what would unfold. After about 5 mins, I figured it couldn't hurt to try and get the attention of whatever it was.

I don't own a call, so I did my best imitation of a doe call to see if I could get what might be a buck to show himself. I left about a minute between calls and varied the volume of my voice. After the 10th attempt he crept out of the thick stuff and sure enough, he was a young spike-by-two.

This probably wouldn't have worked on an old smart buck - but meat in the freezer was the intended use of the first tag.

lots of does and young bucks so far this yr, but we are coming in to october, which tipically is the dry month for sightings. will be interesting to see how this weird weather/seasons are going to affect this season.

averaging 15 - 20 animals every outing this yr so far. good numbers

no real big boys seen yet by my group, sooon it will happen

updates guys how are things for you in yur Bt area?

DP

Soaked to the nuts....'tried' to get to a new zone I have been curious about for a while..NOPE.Not without a tent anyway. Found some new trails , only have 2 cams out right now...this weather keeps up some shits gonna happen soon.
    I made this video out of boredom last night...should help generate enthusiasm...works for me!http://youtu.be/S2Z8clpbpuo

beauty!!! !

I know this has been covered a few times but lets do it again. What slopes will they likely be on at what time of year. South in the winter? north in the summer? Are the steep slopes gunna be more productive then flats above them?

I hiked into an area today to set up a trail cam. Its down in a steeeeep valley with a couple HUGE trails running through. I set up the cam where 2 trails join into one. We will see what comes of it. Here is some footage of our way in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50AfCoI8sjo
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it