Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Trophy blacktail hunting 2011

Re: Trophy blacktail hunting 2011

Quote Originally Posted by proguide66 View Post
    OK..here we go again! Weather's changed , have a few potential 'victims' on the 'hitlist' and cant help myself and am going to hit it in the am.
    As posted earlier I hope many btail enthusiasts purchased a video cam this year and are going to submit some cool shit on this thread as it goes along.
    EVERYONE is encouraged to submit tips ect as these deer are obviously the toughest to hunt and knowledge is deffinitely appreciated!!
    The cam is on charge and the gear is ready for the am ! Going to be some sweatin tomarrow as the climb is a little 'steep'.
    It would be real cool to come home and follow numerous hunts on here for the next couple months!

This is my earliest start ever and I'm kinda terrified of using a tag before 'Golden November'....heeeere weeee gooooo! ( hopefully some cool footage tomarrow!)
    "Terrified?!" Jesus Christ boy, the good Lord hates a coward!

I was out both days last weekend and also 3 evenings this past week and saw this guy every time I have been out so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6oi6bJ2Rq8
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it

ahh...430 am awakening , rain hitting roof....should be good!

(clip from an article.).have hunted Columbia blacktail hard since I was a kid. No deer I have hunted do a better imitation of Count Dracula than these guys. Their preference for nighttime movement was underscored by an Oregon Department of Fish and Game research project that used cameras keyed by an electronic beam/receiver set-up that took pictures of the deer as they moved through their natural habitat. The cameras were set up on several well-known trails. According to this study, only 17% of all bucks moved during legal shooting hours - meaning that 83% of all the bucks in the study area did not move when it was legal to shoot. In fact, prime buck movements occurred between 10:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m., with more than 40% of the bucks photographed during the after-dark period being mature 4-point-or-better bucks. Interestingly, during this survey the does and fawns displayed a more balanced travel tendency, with 44% of them being photographed during daylight hours.

I already thought they were tough to hunt..... then you post that!

Quote Originally Posted by SHACK View Post
    16 does/fawns and one
    spike and a two point seen on monday and tuesday for me. To dry, hot and noisey...not to mention the full moon!
    Uh oh , The Shack is BACK ! Look out B Tails! Did you get one of those 'kid sling things' in camo for the fall?? Hope you get a big one to make up for last season!

Holy sweatfest. Straight up in the drk and rain to find piles and piles of droppings ect...ZERO fresh.Looks like 'that' spot is going to have to load up in a month and bit for a re-visit!
    Was on one of those trails that make you say " damn , what a place for a trail cam"...then the light goes on , " oh I have 3 in my pack". Cant wait for that SD card to load up as its good for a few months!
    I also climbed a tree and aimed it down on the trail right out of sight of anything or anyone.Wedged a rock between the trunk and top half of cam and choked it with some wolf snare wire.
    Off to my mineral lick tomarrow , maybe have some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by proguide66 View Post
    (clip from an article.).have hunted Columbia blacktail hard since I was a kid. No deer I have hunted do a better imitation of Count Dracula than these guys. Their preference for nighttime movement was underscored by an Oregon Department of Fish and Game research project that used cameras keyed by an electronic beam/receiver set-up that took pictures of the deer as they moved through their natural habitat. The cameras were set up on several well-known trails. According to this study, only 17% of all bucks moved during legal shooting hours - meaning that 83% of all the bucks in the study area did not move when it was legal to shoot. In fact, prime buck movements occurred between 10:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m., with more than 40% of the bucks photographed during the after-dark period being mature 4-point-or-better bucks. Interestingly, during this survey the does and fawns displayed a more balanced travel tendency, with 44% of them being photographed during daylight hours.
    Hey PG, looking very forward to this thread this year. Love the vids you get. That article is very interesting and very discouraging at the same time. The study from Oregon does not really seem to be accurate as far as the vids you have taken over the years. You seem to have lots of daytime footage of BT running all over the place in your library. Could those BT down south see so much hunting pressure that they go nocturnal like WT in heavy pressure areas? The areas you get into may only see a few people a year in the fall and early winter. People hiking all over the place in the summer but not during deer season I wouldn't think. Taking that study into consideration do you think it would a good idea to move fairly quickly through the bush where you know the deer are? Try to jump them from their beds or just to get them moving. The slow stalk seems to work pretty good for you.

sweet this is my favorite thread ever,good luck to everyone!

Going out next weekend (sept. 29th-oct. 2nd) To see if I can't drop my first BT. I'll be packing my camera... don't worry