Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051

Thread: Trophy blacktail hunting 2011

Re: Trophy blacktail hunting 2011

Wow, that buck is lucky his antler came off. Cool antler. Is that a huge brow tine or a very short back tine?
    Can't tell in the photo.
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

Thats actually his g-2.He had a 'bump' for browtine that you cant really see. He was also goin backwards , imagine what he was prime!?
    He was wayy up valley from where the deer winter. Lesson learned , DONT use buck scent gland up wind from any migration route for wolf attractant as the bucks arent ALL wintering down valley from the upper levels.
    Last edited by proguide66; 12-18-2011 at 03:25 PM.

It is a unique looking antler and I guess a show of him going backwards. Wondering if his g1 was ever forked or just his g2

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

Cool looking forsure, old buggers definately get gnarly when their old

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

This is the shed I picked up last week, its last years shed thinking a 3yr old BT

Compared to the buck I shot this year which I was think was about 4yrs old.

The buck of that shed would be 4yrs this year and I think he'd already surpass the buck I shot. Looks like he'll have nice brows. This buck will be a beauty in another 2-3years.

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

That last kill for us also killed any guess's I would have on ages/antlers. Few yrs ago I did learn a solid indicator of a true monster shooter for me was going to be bases. There's NO bases like a true mature genetically superior buck and usually the easiest thing to look for in a thick bush encounter. In the video of Hitch's buck I could only see eyeballs and tips...didnt get the adrenaline goin and I went for the video cam..if it was only those bases in view he woulda bin dead meat..hehe...3 yrs ago I would have also guessed his sheds mature..but was far off.
    That 4point shed I found this nov will be my minds haunt till next fall!

That does make sense, except for the few deer I would see in open draws I always had to glass to see what the headgear was as in the thick brush. I've always looked at it as ages/antlers but do know that genetics plays the biggest part. I think thats where some people mess up. Every area isnt gonna have huge genetics like your area so its important to learn what your area is capable of producing. I wanna find two more honey holes with good genetics and then just try and shoot the biggest oldest gnarliest bucks in them. I'll gladly eat my tag over shooting a little one. I know I didnt shoot a monster this year but I had to break the ice. Hence why I didnt get it mounted. Once I saw those monster tracks in my area thats all I cared about. I'd see a good set of tracks and I'd just pass them up and keep looking for "him" All I pretty much care about is getting him on cam or finding his shed. If I didnt have to go to pemby tomo I'd be out scouting new area. BT hunting is f#cking addictive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

We started a BLACKTAIL HUNTING page on facebook if anyones interested.

I also might have some new cool video soon as I'm hitting Illinois and Alabama for some bow/whitetail action for a couple weeks. Peak rut hasnt hit yet in Alabama and Illinois has 200" whitetail runnin around , should be cool !

I will share a short tale my buddy just told me last week...

He lives on 5 acres between Langley and Abbotsford near the Fraser River.

He walked out to his smoker in the back of the property and low and behold there was a 4X4 blacktail that he had seen several times over the fall at about 20' from him as he was standing watching it a 6X6 walked out beside it was the biggest set of blacktail antlers he had ever seen...

Yes this was just after the season ended...

I may have to dig my bow and tree stand out and try hunting these beauties next season...

Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...