Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regional Bag limits - Deer

Question Regional Bag limits - Deer

Okay, I think I'm reading the Regs right but figured I'd better be sure. I have a friend who has just got into hunting and lives on the island (Lozzie). We are talking about going out together for a hunt on the Island and I'm pretty stoked as have never hunted on the Island and hear good things about the Island Bt's being quite tasty.
    Here's my question: Let's say I harvest a BT buck on the Islandthat would mean that I can only harvest WT's back on the mainland as I would already have my BT (mule) buck and I don't have a LEH tag (despite my best attempts at procuring one) for an antlerless Muley?

The regs state, "aggregate bag limit for deer is 3. The bag limit for mule (BT) deer is 2, but only one may be a buck. Antlerless mule deer are under LEH only. The bag limit for WT deer is 2, only one of which may be a buck, and one of which may be antlerless."
    Does that sound correct?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Regional Bag limits - Deer

Im might be wrong but you have to look at each area's bag limit . I believe you can take 3 bucks if in different regions. Best to check with the CO's but it is my understanding if you get 3 bucks in different regions your ok.

No
    If you take a buck in region 1 then you can take an antlerless mulie (blacktail) in region 1 in one of the open seasons or under LEH. The provincial bag limit for deer is 3, they can all be bucks, does or a combo of each as long as you don't exceed the regional bag limit in each region. You can take all mulies or all whitetails, or a combo, just no more than 3 total.
    The QCI is a different subject all unto its own andhas its own deer tags that are different than the mainland ones.

I currently have a LEH for a black tail doe in region 8, so i cant harvest anything other then a black tail doe.. since regional bag limit is 1, or can i take 1 blacktail or 1 mule deer?
    M.Dean
    Real hunters have no friends! Alls we want from you is where you seen the big buck last year! We don't care about your dog or what you do for a living or how you bake a bloody pie from scratch! Where did you see the buck, Buddy! We don't watch Oprah or shower at a 10 day hunting camp, we eat pork and beans with the knife we gut Deer with,we blow our nose with our fingers and the Regs are used for Toilet Paper! Friends, Ha, isn't that a TV show for Girlie Men???

Correct me if I am wrong. But here is what I see. On page 16 the chart with provincial bag limits states 3 deer provincially but doesnt specify species and it notes to see "Deer Licenses Section". So go back to Page 8 and you find this:

DEER LICENCES
    A person must not possess more than
    15 of any current year deer licences. The
    combination of deer licences may include a
    maximum of 3 mule deer and 3 white-tailed

deer licences.

To me with the key is AND, rather than or, between "3 mule deer AND 3 white-tailed deer" this means I can get a provincial bag limit of 3 mulies and 3 whities a total of 6 deer. These could be all bucks as long as only one buck of each species is taken from any one Region. ie: in region 3 I could take 1 mulie buck and 1 whitie buck. I could also get this same combination from say regions 5 and 8 assuming regional bag limits and open seasons allow it. FG is correct with the QCI deer being a whole different thing though. Also, as FG stated they could be a combination of bucks or does as long as you are compliant with the regional bag limits and general open seasons allow it or you have an LEH. Again this is how I interpret it and I'd like to think after my years dealing with legal jargon in different building and electrical codes as well as mastering the LEH that I might have somewhat of an idea lol.

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong. But here is what I see. On page 16 the chart with provincial bag limits states 3 deer provincially but doesnt specify species and it notes to see "Deer Licenses Section". So go back to Page 8 and you find this:

DEER LICENCES

deer licences.

To me with the key is AND, rather than or, between "3 mule deer AND 3 white-tailed deer" this means I can get a provincial bag limit of 3 mulies and 3 whities a total of 6 deer. These could be all bucks as long as only one buck of each species is taken from any one Region. ie: in region 3 I could take 1 mulie buck and 1 whitie buck. I could also get this same combination from say regions 5 and 8 assuming regional bag limits and open seasons allow it. FG is correct with the QCI deer being a whole different thing though. Also, as FG stated they could be a combination of bucks or does as long as you are compliant with the regional bag limits and general open seasons allow it or you have an LEH. Again this is how I interpret it and I'd like to think after my years dealing with legal jargon in different building and electrical codes as well as mastering the LEH that I might have somewhat of an idea lol.
    Wrong

It's really simple. The provincial bag limit is 3 with the exception of the QCI. It can be a combination of WT and Mule deer. I could take a buck in 1 and 2 bucks in 2 and I'm done. I could take a buck in 1, a buck in 3 and a buck in 8 and I'm done. You cannot exceed the bag limit in a region.
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

DEER LICENCES

deer licences.

The provincial bag limit for deer is 3
    you may posess up to 15 deer tags
    the tags you posess can only be up to 3 mulies and 3 whitetails
    Just because you now have 6 tags in your posetion doesn't mean you can shoot 6 deer in one season, the provincial bag limit for deer is 3, total

If you shoot 3 mulies and 3 whitetails, you would be exceeding your limit by 3 deer

Quote Originally Posted by shadow1982 View Post
    I currently have a LEH for a black tail doe in region 8, so i cant harvest anything other then a black tail doe.. since regional bag limit is 1, or can i take 1 blacktail or 1 mule deer?
    mule deer doe in region 8
    the regional bag limit for mule deer is 1 as you have a LEH you may take 1 doe or 1 buck, once you have taken your mule deer, you are done for region 8

I see, so that's just licenses not actual deer... Luckily for me this has never been an issue then hey? lol. Usually only get one maybe 2 deer. So why would anyone buy 6 tags if you can only have 3 deer... unless your going on a really really long trip maybe and dont know what you will run into. But even then you'd think you could find somewhere to buy tags along the way. I would just have one available tag of each species at any given time, buy a new one for which ever species you tag out on, then the max you could possibly end up with that way is 4 tags and only one, maybe 2, would end up being unfilled possibly... not 3 or more unused ones...

DEER LICENCES

deer licences.

And this guy hunts in our province...................(head shake!) Just cuz you buy a tag doesnt mean you can kill the animal legally. I could have 10 B Bear tags but I'm only allowed 2 in the freezer. I could have 6 moose tags but I'm only allowed 1 dead moose.

This is the kind of misguidence about hunting that leads me to think that a hunting licence should be harder to get with much more indepth training about hunting laws and regulations, and wildlife education. I spoke with a guy from work the other day that has recently gotten his licence and is scheduled to go on his firs moose hunt next month who had no Idea that ungulates loose their antlers every year, and he could'nt tell the diffrence between a mulie buck or a whitetail. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!