Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain Griz and a Double on Stone Rams 2011

Mountain Griz and a Double on Stone Rams 2011

So with some new info and a little reasearch we went chasin stones again with a grizz tag for backup. Arron and I took off Aug 30th and headed for Dease Lk with a flyin date of sept 2nd with Bruce and Terry at BC Yukon Air.
    We had a great flight in and Terry joined us for the ride, after being dropped off we set up the wall tent and headed up the mountain with 8 days food in tow. The weather started to turn on us so we got into a sheltered spot and set up spike camp.
    Aaron looked up on the ridge and there were sheep heading over the next ridge, 4 small rams but first sheep spotted. With camp set and a few hours of the day left we grabbed our guns and a spotting scope and climbed the ridge for a look around.
    About two hours before dark Aaron looked up and a very nice collored griz had come over the top and was working and eating its way into the valley below us. Looking it over we made a run at it and with the help of a ground squirrel running the bear down the side hill it was all comming together.
    A couple shots and the griz was ours, we had time for a couple pics then headed back up to the tent. We came in the next morning and skinned the bear out and packed all the way back to the lake in the pouring rain.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mountain Griz and a Double on Stone Rams 2011

dandy grizz!! congrats

Awesome pics. Love those fall colours and the bear to boot!

Beauty bear. Can't wait to get one big enough for my floor.

Lets see the SHEEEEP!!! Nice Griz!

Solid Griz. Good pics Ken!. Thanks for sharing...
    " You know you're in Goat country when it takes both arms
    and legs to climb and you can spit down on sheep". Patrick Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Extra points to whomever can post the best pic of Christys boobs!
    "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious Billy View Post
    Awesome pics. Love those fall colours and the bear to boot!
    My thought exactly. Love those colours!

Pull your head out of your Ass
    long enough to see how stupid you look!!!!!

Very nice grizz field shot that first one is, Ken....congrats on that bear Aaron!
    "I am fascinated by the wild, rough country where sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes". - JOC

Next morning we resalted the bear and hung it in the wall tent, repacked with ten days food and climbed up that damn mountain again. This time we went over the top and set up in a draw on the other side.
    A few rams were seen over the next few days one being to close to call so he and his buddies walked.
    After hiking to the other end of the range one morning we decieded to concentrate on the area west of our spike camp. While making dinner we noticed a few sheep comming out of the trees milles from the tent,
    too far to see what they were but we kept watching. After a while we noticed them butting heads and got glimpse of horn.
    Next morning we got up and checked to see if they were still around and we could see them in the trees, so a closer look was in order and off we went. As we got closer eleven rams and two ewes were working the hill
    and feeding along. there was a deep valley with a creek separating us and with them moving all we could do was watch. The sheep worked thier way into a basin with a big scree slide and the two biggest rams climbed high on the
    slde and bedded. We looked at each other and decieded this was our chance but we would have to work way up the valley, cross the creek, climb the mountain and come in from above as the other rams all bedded below.
    A long time and a lot of sweat later found us above the rams whom were bedded six feet apart when we looked over. Aaron ranged it at 500 yds and the rams were facing us so up we went, when we looked over again it was 400yds
    and straight down, not a shot either of us was willing to take so back over the hill and down the other side. This time we came over 300 yds away and on a bit better angle, this was as good as it was going to get so we set up.
    I had a clear shot so I took the first one and hit the ram perfectly, he jumped up took two steps and folded, the second ram jumped up confused and ran up hill looking around and a shot rang out and hit him hard, anouther shot hit him
    and the fog rolled in so we couldn't see a thing.
    We went back to our packs and came off the hill and around the front to climb up to the rams ( I hate boulder patches !!! ) When we got there this is what we found