Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Perfect punt?

Re: Perfect punt?

Built over 20 yrs. ago (X-section measurements taken off a friends punt --RK--and then lengthened and tweaked) for open water brant , it works perfectly for wavies in the grass patches out front and just as well for ducks (carries about 50 goose floaters, gets out in a storm, and hides in pretty thin grass ). It can travel in pretty rough conditions but still hides well in low cover. It poles pretty well, altho is a bit heavy for that if the wind is really up. Jake is standing in it in the 3rd pic and the lump is the motor (15 hp.)

For the best hide these next two are the best. The 1st is fiberglass over plywood I built in 1975. It's got a V bottom so presents a low profile and tows well, altho it can be tricky to pole until you get the hang of it. The entire decks and doors can be grassed with lines . The 2nd one shown is aluminum. This one is the sweetest to pole and, like the fiberglass/ply, it can hide in 10" of cover on a high tide.

cont'd.
    Last edited by branthunter; 09-12-2011 at 09:36 PM.

continued-fiber/ply

aluminum

Right you are Gunner---I forgot the towboat. This old seine skiff works well for me---it will take pretty much any wind and waves and with the 50 that's on it now it gets up and goes with two aboard and towing both little marsh punts . I used to tow with the big punt or just go out with the two of us (this is when the young man, my son in the tow pic, was in his 12ish years) but running all the way back in the dark, ,let alone with any kind of weather, from the front was too close to the edge so we got the seine skiff and started travelling with both boats (ie. it and the big punt ) .

I'd like to reinforce the earlier comment here on the risks of punt hunting the S. Fraser marshes, inner or outer, but especially the latter......although maybe I shouldn't say that because in a big blow the upper marshes and channels that access them can get pretty scary. The weather can go from breezy to the howling 50's in 5-10 minutes. It's no place for inexperience in rough weather small boat handling and navigation. When it gets rough like that you sometimes can't even recognize where you are in the marsh, where the ditches and channels are, or which way to go to get to safety---. If the river gets too rough to come out of the marsh and head back upstream just stay put....or sometimes you can take the nearest back channel into the dyke and walk to the nearest farm. Even for the ones walking out onto the Brunswick there are risks from misjudging the tide or stepping into unseen ditches or getting trapped outside a big ditch........ walk-out hunters have drowned out there.
    Last edited by branthunter; 09-12-2011 at 09:32 PM.

i got myself a marsh rat from mallard marine...it was a pain to get..i had to drive down and get it from washington state...they dont ship...that being said its a super great little duck boat...very stable and holds a good load of stuff! its sneaky and it draws very little water...i use it to hunt some small marshes and to go down the river! its a pretty lazy river mind you...anyhow its a thumbs up boat. heres a link
    http://www.mallardmarine.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Keep lookin' Beachcomber! As I said you'll need at least 2,one of which can be used as a tow boat.Plus more room will be needed when you get a real dog....Cheers,Gunner
    He IS a real dog it's just that he doesn't realise it yet! Anyway he just ate a chunk of my black parade gloss shoe polish so his transition to lab is underway.

Great set up you have Branthunter and the points on safety are well made. It is remarkable how conditions can change - I recall those stories of hunters walking out and gettting cut off. The current itself is surprisingly strong and, add in a tide rip in skanky weather, and it can a recipe for trouble. I've gone out there in inadequate boats (zodiac) myself and had some sketchy trips home, hugging the dyke in the dark. A lack of judgement on my part that won't be repeated - especially after seeing some of the cool boats here. Still plan to build that Bicknell one day though.

"Still plan to build that Bicknell one day though."

If you need extra hands let me know, I'd love to help out......building punts is a great joy, although it's years since I did my last one...I've built 2 wood ones from scratch and done the finishing woodwork on my 2 aluminum ones.
    I found this pic of the interior of the big punt empty with the doors open.

please take heed to what brant hunter has said about weather and tide,he couldn,t be more right.i was born and raised in canoe pass and have been involved in two many rescue,s and other not so lucky incidents.i know only use a 16 ft high sided tow boat to tow my 14 ft. punt out front as i,ve been involved in a couple of close calls myself....take heed....fowl

Cheers Branthunter. The London-Ladner shuttle is going to make this a tough project right now but when I get back there I will take you up on that. Think it would be a great project and would be nice to see it on the marsh.

does anybody have plans for a 14+ft fiberglass punt?or an idea where to look for these plans?

Best to get measurements and pictures. All of them are like versions 1 through 10 of everyone building or tweeking something to make their own or what they figure is better.

I looked at that route before we ran into one for sale we jumped on. Bryan offered to let me take pics of his boat and measurements to get another made out of aluminum. I'm sure there's enough guys on here, Kelly too, that you'd find everything you'd need.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?