Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Perfect punt?

Perfect punt?

I've been through the HBC website and looked at the postings on Momarsh punts and a few other boats but am wondering if anyone has any views on what constitutes the perfect duckboat? To me this is something that can get you off the Westham foreshore/Brunswick in all but the snarbiest weather but is versatile enough to shoot the inner marsh, Pitt etc. It would hold two, their gear and decoys, maybe a dog.

I've looked at a number of sites and seen some pretty good rigs

http://www.duckboats.com/
    http://www.devlinboat.com/
    http://duckboats.net/
    http://www.classicbarnegat.com/
    http://www.classicbarnegat.com/

Any thoughts?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Perfect punt?

I've had a bunch of different punts over the years and found that there isn't the perfect punt for all conditions. If you're thinking of something that will be suitable for the Brunswick and such then I wouldn't think of anything under 14' that has doors as it can get nasty real quick. Check out Branthunters punt, it's probably as good as it gets for versatility. K

I would agree with branthunters boat is very nice and well suited for lots of areas, Your boat would work just fine too Kelly, as would Bryans or Jacks. I was surpised just how seaworthy Jacks punt was. It rode nicely ontop of the swells instead of plowing through them and taking water over the top.

I'd love a copy of Jacks in Aluminum to have for the 10 days in March. I like the doors, and front splash shield. Could take some more rougher weather if you run into it.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Jacks is RJ's original punt which was copied by another buddy of mine then I took mine off his, using it as a mold. K

Thanks to you both for your thoughts. Agree there is always going to be something of a compromise. Is the punt you're describing available commercially or a self-build? I've seen some good plans around and have been looking at some of Zack Taylor's designs in his 1974 book Successful Waterfowling (I've actually been lookng at these since I bought the book in 1978 so haven't made much progress). There is also a good sequence of photos on the web that follow someone building a Merrymeeting Bay design. That looks like a good rig. These look bombproof too: http://www.bankesboats.com/

Bankes are the top of the top when it comes to waterfowling boats, them or duckwater boats but the price tag that comes with them is steep. I looked at bringing a bankes 17' over but all said and done was too much to justify the low number of days a year I'd use one. There's also TDB fiberglass boats, I've searched for years to find one on the west coast when the pop up in wash/ Oregon but haven't pulled the trigger on one of them either. All these boats mentioned though are big boats, probably suited better for open water then showing a low profile in the marsh.

Some of the boats in question from the previous posts.

Fiberglass

Aluminum

Last edited by Crazy_Farmer; 09-11-2011 at 07:30 AM.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

There is no perfect duck boat PERIOD!

I figure you need 3
    a big/open water boat
    a small water/marsh boat
    a canoe or skinny water boat like an Aquapod, MoMarsh, KARA

Devlin has modernized many of the old designs converting them from on-frame to monocoque stitch and glue construction. I would say that a monderized merrymeeting scull (they are scull boats!) is as close to a versatile craft as you will get! Merrymeeting bay is good size water in coastal maine, been there. John Gardiner has an excellent write up with full lines in his books, most librarys have them. I think I have a photocopy if you're interested shoot me and email.

I have or have read about 90% of everything written on Barngates, still love the boat, but not right for me anymore. Same goes for all the old designs, hell if I had the space I'd have something under construction, I do miss that!

Ian

Great pictures. Thanks. I've always thought one of the the best looking duck boats was the Barnegat and often considered Zack Taylor's plywood version would be a good compromise (though it doesn't have the same clean lines). If I had to choose a favoutrite design though it would be a Bicknell like the one they have in the Ladner museum. We once found a smashed up, half sunk waterlogged one near Canoe Pass. Pulled it out and dried it but it was beyond repair. One side was completely ripped out, the canvas was rotten and the wood was beginning to go. It looked like it had been in the river a long time. I kept the rusted Bicknell badge but the rest was ultimately returned to the deep. Unusually for a Bicknell it had a motor well, negating the need for a destabilizing side-mount (again like the Ladner museum example).

Thanks again for your replies.

I haven't hunted from a punt... YET! My waterfouling partner is in the midst of rebuilding the transom on his home made punt. He built it over 50 years ago and it went form a 14 foot punt down to a 12. So we'll probably be out off of westam island pretty soon here!!

I'm pretty excited... not going to lie. I'll try to get some pics up.

Keep lookin' Beachcomber! As I said you'll need at least 2,one of which can be used as a tow boat.Plus more room will be needed when you get a real dog....Cheers,Gunner
    Last edited by Gunner; 09-12-2011 at 01:04 PM.
    Support the BCWF, they volunteer to benefit all of us.