Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Airedale

1899 Guest

Re: Airedale

Nate - the reason say "working" is because I am interested in ability as opposed to show dogs, which are bred for specific physical attributes. The latter is, imo, why the GSD is not what it used to be. Take a look at a GSD from WWII era and compare it to a modern version. The older ones were far more "square" - similar to a Belgian Malinois or a Dutch Shepherd whereas today they have that typical sloped back.

Aren't most Labs bred for their ability to hunt? Wouldn't it be redundant to call it a "working" dog? Take a look at this from the AKC re the Labrador :
    Size--The height at the withers for a dog is 22½ to 24½ inches; for a bitch is 21½ to 23½ inches. Any variance greater than ½ inch above or below these heights is a disqualification....
    A small white spot on the chest is permissible, but not desirable....
    I don't care if the dog is 1/2" taller or shorter, I don't care if there is a small white spot on its chest. I just want a healthy dog that has the desireable qualities of the breed.

I am sure someone will correct me if my assessment is wrong.

I am glad you mentioned Labs though, as they are also a breed I am very interested in.

1899 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    The 'early hounders' would have a big airedale with their hounds with the idea that they were scrappers and had the terrier's quickness and ability to keep out of danger.
    Yes, I some people still do this - take a look at Airy Mountain's web site. They have some good pictures and info there.

I'd recommend Tantivy Stables (in Saanich). My airedale is from there and he's been doing pretty well in his training so far. The real test will be in a few weeks when we go upland hunting.

1899 Guest

Thanks for everyone's help, and to those who pm'd me. I have learned much since this post started!

Quote Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
    depends on what type of dale you want as they vary in size and abilites. what some call working is just a bit of training that most any obiedent dog can do. the best hunting dale,not "working" that i owned came from a lady west of edmonton alberta. he was a big airedale and he accelled at most everything we hunted. other airedales i have had never came close to his abilities. they were good movers or had a good tight coat or were gritty but they were average to below average hunters. can't understand why the "working" handle gets attached to an airedale unless it is to compensate for it's lack of hunting ability. like a working poodle, you never hear some say working lab or working pointer. in comparision, my walkers are grittier than mostdales.
    Actually I have to disagree with that SORT OF, you may never hear them say "WORKING LAB or POINTER" but they sure do say FIELD BRED (vs Show Bred) and that about adds up to the same thing IMO. Unfortunately there are lots of breeds that feel the working/show split to some degree or the other.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

an airedale shoud be a swimmer above all else and i have only witnessed one that could or would swim and he swam like a duck,retrieved them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Actually I have to disagree with that SORT OF, you may never hear them say "WORKING LAB or POINTER" but they sure do say FIELD BRED (vs Show Bred) and that about adds up to the same thing IMO. Unfortunately there are lots of breeds that feel the working/show split to some degree or the other.
    doubt there is much difference between the two,in most cases.

Are you saying you dont think there is much difference between a working or field lab and one from show lines?

referring to airedales....as that is what the subject is.

We have two Airedales, the male, 75lbs came from Chilliwack and the female 50lbs came from Lumby. PM me if you want more info
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @