Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chetwynd Elk

Re: Chetwynd Elk

Quote Originally Posted by 18Wheeler View Post
    We would be interested in someone who knows the area showing us around. My brother and I are late starters (brand new) to hunting and are looking for some guidance. Happy to pay but cannot afford the guided outfitter hunts.
    It's illegal for you to pay someone to guide you, that isn't a guide/outfitter for the area you are hunting in.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by 18Wheeler View Post
    We would be interested in someone who knows the area showing us around. My brother and I are late starters (brand new) to hunting and are looking for some guidance. Happy to pay but cannot afford the guided outfitter hunts.
    If you're not sure where to hunt elk just go into the Del Rio, it's the place to be. Jackfish Lake. You can go just about anywhere around Chetwynd and find elk.

Other than that you cannot legally pay for 'guidance' unless it's from a licensed guide. You'll have to just figure it out on your own, or find someone to hunt with that knows where to go, and how to hunt elk.

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    It's illegal for you to pay someone to guide you, that isn't a guide/outfitter for the area you are hunting in.
    There seems to be an increase in new hunters seeking mentorship, and believing that they have no other path than to pay someone to teach them.

Makes sense as that is how we treat everything else nowadays.

B.C. is progressive, perhaps it should lead the way with a "Hunting Mentor" license.
    Allow the teachers to get compensated....

(Somewhat serious with this post)

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    There seems to be an increase in new hunters seeking mentorship, and believing that they have no other path than to pay someone to teach them.

Makes sense as that is how we treat everything else nowadays.

I can see how it would be tough on someone who didn't learn while young and have older friends/ family/ mentor type people available to go with. [ same goes for fishing to a lesser degree ]
    I don't always think that it's the going along with a stranger etc.. but it's the going into an area that maybe you've spent many years learning to figure out. Most hunting people I know probably wouldn't be willing to share all of those details??
    On a related note: I used to go on a moose trip not far from jackfish lake outside of chetwynd [ 6-7 years in a row 15-20 years ago now] There were lots of elk around and probably still are. I'd still hunt there if I didn't start going on a different trip with other friends.

B.C. is progressive, perhaps it should lead the way with a "Hunting Mentor" license.
    Allow the teachers to get compensated....

(Somewhat serious with this post)

I can see how it would be tough on someone who didn't learn while young and have older friends/ family/ mentor type people available to go with. [ same goes for fishing to a lesser degree ]
    I don't always think that it's the going along with a stranger etc.. but it's the going into an area that maybe you've spent many years learning to figure out. Most hunting people I know probably wouldn't be willing to share all of those details??
    On a related note: I used to go on a moose trip not far from jackfish lake outside of chetwynd [ 6-7 years in a row 15-20 years ago now] There were lots of elk around and probably still are. I'd still hunt there if I didn't start going on a different trip with other friends.

Never ever before has there been so much free advice on “how to” what have you, and still people want a hand to be held. I got to say 1/2 the the pleasure of getting to taste the success is figuring it out. Look at google earth, look at harvest stats, look at moon phases, look at the latest, greatest satellite images, watch and read the best info and data there is. Learn to call, just do it over and over again until you sound like a boss.
    Then go there and hunt your ass off, hunt all day, look for fresh sign, brows, tracks, soft shit, find wallows, licks, bedding areas, pinch points, find areas you can have the upper hand, to sit, push, wait or rush, hunt like a pack of wolves, or if solo like a cougar. Constant Success is not because it is casual.

If your not getting the “pump”you need from your hunting experiences, pack up your stuff and move to somewhere better or make lots of money and pay a reputable guide outfitter. The key word is reputable, many of them are just posers. They rely on blind ass luck like almost everyone else.

Again, never has there ever been more free advice then there is today on how to get an elk…… and its not how to start a fire with a “drill” or sucking water out of a puddle with a life straw. Get tough, get hungry, want it bad, picture your success, learn how the forest operates. Hunt all day, and scout all year. How bad do you want it?
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    Never ever before has there been so much free advice on “how to” what have you, and still people want a hand to be held. I got to say 1/2 the the pleasure of getting to taste the success is figuring it out. Look at google earth, look at harvest stats, look at moon phases, look at the latest, greatest satellite images, watch and read the best info and data there is. Learn to call, just do it over and over again until you sound like a boss.
    Then go there and hunt your ass off, hunt all day, look for fresh sign, brows, tracks, soft shit, find wallows, licks, bedding areas, pinch points, find areas you can have the upper hand, to sit, push, wait or rush, hunt like a pack of wolves, or if solo like a cougar. Constant Success is not because it is casual.

If your not getting the “pump”you need from your hunting experiences, pack up your stuff and move to somewhere better or make lots of money and pay a reputable guide outfitter. The key word is reputable, many of them are just posers. They rely on blind ass luck like almost everyone else.

Again, never has there ever been more free advice then there is today on how to get an elk…… and its not how to start a fire with a “drill” or sucking water out of a puddle with a life straw. Get tough, get hungry, want it bad, picture your success, learn how the forest operates. Hunt all day, and scout all year. How bad do you want it?

Husky, you have the makings of a hunting motivational speaker!

Quote Originally Posted by srthomas75 View Post
    Lived in Chetwynd in 1965 when still a teen doing surveys in the wilderness.
    Almost daily flew with helicopter to & from work.
    Never saw any elk but plenty of moose, black bears & some grizz.

Was up there again in the late 60s & early 70s & never saw any elk.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    Lived in Chetwynd in 1965 when still a teen doing surveys in the wilderness.
    Almost daily flew with helicopter to & from work.
    Never saw any elk but plenty of moose, black bears & some grizz.

Was up there again in the late 60s & early 70s & never saw any elk.
    I have several bull elk racks from the Chetwynd area, and lots of moose and deer around too. We moved away from there in 1965 for the mill construction jobs in PG. I think you can go just about any direction out of Chetwynd and find elk now.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Shot my first Bull Elk in Chetwynd, it was up the Sukunka river.......seen elk everyday of course this was 30 years ago, put some effort in you'll have some success, it was very busy with hunters and Grizzly bears, stay alert.

Read Husky's post again there's more info there than meets the eye.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

husky has it laid out. If you’re passionate and hungry enough you’ll learn. Nothing will come easy or cheap