Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Camo Patterns

Re: Camo Patterns

Hi all - this is an older discussion on camo patterns. Any new thoughts since the last post in 2011? I'm thinking that most camo patterns don't come near the green that we have year round on the Island.

Whatever is on sale between Kuiu, FirstLite, and Stika.
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

One thing that I have noticed is depending on hunting style I will dress differently....all the same kinda camo...Woodland ghilli suit works amazing in our rainforests
    ..but you wants pants that don't catch the low brush but don't much noise either

I really don't think it matters, wear what fits your budget and is comfortable. Move slow, stay on the right side of the wind, and move quiet. Doesn't matter what you're wearing. Most blacktails will slink away at the crack of a branch or movement they don't recognize. If they scent you you're toast.Better chances during the rut but don't think they care what you are wearing and have never felt that my choice of clothes has made a difference other than noise.

jeans and t-shirt camo for me anywhere. more aboiut that scent, i use plain borax for laundry soap and no smells.
    and yes most laundry soap uses UV in them to keep whites white and colours bright..lol

The outdoor clothing industry has a motto"it is a sin to let a sucker keep their money". Throw a camo pattern on a piece of outdoor clothing and quadruple the price.

If you are hunting close range I would say camo is worth while. As a bowhunter I think colour is not a huge deal just something simular works fine. In my opinion it is about breaking up your outline more than anything. Stick to the shadows and stay close to cover to help break up your outline is more important than colour

if your back drop is too far behind you or in direct sun with now shadows helping break up your outline camo or not deer often pick you out. They may not know what you are but they seem to notice something is not right

The camo debate brings out a lot of different opinions but this is mine

I just own one camo rain jacket. I bought it at Canadian tire for $80. The rest of my clothes it is not camo. I bought two pair of wool pants, a wool toque and 3 different types of wool sweaters from value village. Stanfield underwear from the bay (30% off). All that under $200. I never felt cold while hunting. I am planning to make some gaiters from the hide of the deer I got so I don't have to use the goretex gaiters while I'm hunting. I always carry my goretex pants and jacket in my backpack in case it rains, but I don't like to wear goretex since it is too noisy when you walk.

Regarding the smell of your clothes. I used the non-scent detergent and I put the clothes in a large zippered plastic bag (the ones you get when you buy a pillow) I put deer poop inside the bag and close it until I go out hunting.

Something that looks like a gate or private property sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    jeans and t-shirt camo for me anywhere. more aboiut that scent, i use plain borax for laundry soap and no smells.
    and yes most laundry soap uses UV in them to keep whites white and colours bright..lol
    Bonz research demonstrates the worst color you can wear is blue. Deer eyes lack the ultraviolet light filter that human and other longer-lived animals have, which means they see blues and other short-wavelength colors about twenty times better than we do. Blue jeans are much more vivid to a deer than blaze orange