Thread: My New Puppy

My New Puppy

Meet Nika, my new 8 week old Standard Poodle. She will be a family pet/hiking/skiing/camping companion. The kids are stoked!!
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

2. Site Sponsor

Re: My New Puppy

Congrats man! Those standards can sure be clever dogs!!

Quote Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
    Congrats man! Those standards can sure be clever dogs!!
    Thanks. Yeah, I did a lot of research before choosing a breed, and for what we were looking for, a standard poodle was a match. So far she's fantastic, and taking really well to both house and crate training. In the next month or two we will start going to group puppy training sessions, which I think will be a blast.

Congrats! I like the standards also, the ones I've known have nice temparments and are really smart. You probably already know that those coats pick up every bur, twig and seed they come in contact with - but at least they don't shed.
    To warm barrels and cold noses

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Congrats! I like the standards also, the ones I've known have nice temparments and are really smart. You probably already know that those coats pick up every bur, twig and seed they come in contact with - but at least they don't shed.
    Yes I know that. I plan on keeping the hair clipped short which should help. I'm not a big fan of dog hair all over the house, so it's a good trade-off for me.

If you want a happy obedient easy to train dog - don't wait another day. Start training today. Early start is the best. My dogs loved Dog obedience school and I could teach my dog a trick in a couple of minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    Yes I know that. I plan on keeping the hair clipped short which should help. I'm not a big fan of dog hair all over the house, so it's a good trade-off for me.
    Shot over 1 a friend of mine owned GREAT long distance marker. He took a pic of an Irish water Spaniel into his groomer and had the dog cliped like that his whole life. His reg name was (and I'm just paraphraseing the kennel name but it was something equally as French) Paris Nights Mr. O'Mally
    X2 on the strat training right away but remember a pup is a pup dont push to far or hard and always end on a positive note
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I think standards look best when you keep them trimmed short on the body, but leave them with a bit of a beard on the snout and maybe a little bit of shag on the top of the head between the ears. Glad you're not going with the French cut

The smartest and best behaved dog I ever met was a black male standard. I used to jog him for his elderly owners.... man could he run!!

Now I want another dog