Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: youth hunt question

Re: youth hunt question

I would have to say that I do not think it's right if an adult shoots the game for the youth in a youth hunt. It would be like if the sockeye limit is 2 per person and you kept two for your four year old who didn't actually fish. But if you are confident that your son or daughter can make a clean kill and that they have proved this to you at the range then I don't see why you would need to shoot the animal for them.
    I'm a lead foot, whiskey drinkin' outlaw.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Re: youth hunt question

Quote Originally Posted by steelheadSABO View Post
    I would have to say that I do not think it's right if an adult shoots the game for the youth in a youth hunt. It would be like if the sockeye limit is 2 per person and you kept two for your four year old who didn't actually fish. But if you are confident that your son or daughter can make a clean kill and that they have proved this to you at the range then I don't see why you would need to shoot the animal for them.
    I would have to agree. I think it's just as irresponsible to give a youth a gun without coaching on how to shoot game as it is for an adult. With your coaching and guidance, allow the youth to take the shot themselves. If, after the youth takes their shot, an animal is wounded, naturally, you, as their supervisor, should do whatever is needed to prevent the animal from escaping while wounded. Unfortunately, too many selfish adults take advantage of the youth season to fill their tags, spoiling the unique experience and opportunity designed to introduce youngsters to hunting.